database transfer issues...

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

database transfer issues...

Postby Rohan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Hello!

I have just installed the iPhone version of HanDBase and am trying to move a database that I was using on a Windows Mobile device to the iPhone instead. it does not seem to be working and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong...here are the steps that I have followed:

- I copied the PDB file on to a memory card, then to a PC on my network (old PDA, wifi will not connect via WPA)
- on the iPhone, I start HanDBase and start the Desktop Connect feature
- on the PC, I navigate to the IP address (via IE8, on Win 7) as indicated on the iPhone
- the database list does show up in IE
- I click on the Browse button in the "Upload HanDBase Database"section and locate the PDB
- I then click the Add Database button and this is where it seems to break...
- IE goes to the following webpage: "http://192.168.2.106:8080/applet_add.html" but IE says that the webpage cannot be found...on the iPhone, there is a message stating that the File Upload Failed.

I have tried this from a couple of different computers, to no avail...what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Rohan
Rohan

Re: database transfer issues...

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:45 am

Rohan wrote:Hello!

I have just installed the iPhone version of HanDBase and am trying to move a database that I was using on a Windows Mobile device to the iPhone instead. it does not seem to be working and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong...here are the steps that I have followed:

- I copied the PDB file on to a memory card, then to a PC on my network (old PDA, wifi will not connect via WPA)
- on the iPhone, I start HanDBase and start the Desktop Connect feature
- on the PC, I navigate to the IP address (via IE8, on Win 7) as indicated on the iPhone
- the database list does show up in IE
- I click on the Browse button in the "Upload HanDBase Database"section and locate the PDB
- I then click the Add Database button and this is where it seems to break...
- IE goes to the following webpage: "http://192.168.2.106:8080/applet_add.html" but IE says that the webpage cannot be found...on the iPhone, there is a message stating that the File Upload Failed.

I have tried this from a couple of different computers, to no avail...what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Rohan

Hello,

So far it sounds like you are doing everything ok. I have to admit we haven't tested that particular function under Windows 7. So I'm not sure if it's an issue with Windows 7 or something else. You indicate that you tested this on different computers. Do they all have Windows 7 and IE 8? If not what configurations do they have?
Do you have the actual release version of Windows 7 or a Pre-Release version?
If it's a Pre-Release version which build is it?
Are they all on the same network?
If they are all on the same network is it possible that there is a web server of some sort on the network?
Do you have a Firewall enabled on the Windows 7 computer?
If so is it just Windows Firewall or some other Firewall application?
If you have a Firewall have you tried temporarily disabling it to see if that makes any difference?
Can you try clicking the link to download either the PDB or CSV file from the Desktop Connect page in your web browser to see if that's successful?
Do you have User Account Control set at the default level in Windows 7 or have you changed that setting?

If you can answer the above questions it should help us to determine what the problem might be.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby Rohan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Here are the answers to your questions:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit, IE8; as well as Windows XP SP2 with Firefox v 3.5.6
all PCs are on the same network
no web server
Norton Internet Security (2010) - does not work with f/w disabled
downloading to the PC is successful (from the Desktop Connect page)
User Account Control is disabled

Thank you again!

Rohan
Rohan

Postby Rohan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm

one other thing: does it matter that I do not have te desktop version of HanDBase installed on the PCs in question? All I am trying to do is to export some databases from my Windows Mobile device over to the iPhone...

Thanks!

Rohan
Rohan

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:21 pm

I apologize for the delay in responding. It took me a little longer to test this in Windows 7 than I expected.

First, it does not matter if you have the HanDBase Desktop installed if you are just planning on using the software on your device and are only needing to upload databases to the device, or download them for backups.

Regarding the issue. From what I found there is a new Security feature in IE8, that was not in previous versions. It has to do with file uploads and not passing the path to the local file to the "web server" when uploading files. This appears to be what is causing the issue with Desktop Connect and uploading the database files. I haven't been able to figure out why this connection is not considered an Intranet connection versus Internet. In the Local Intranet settings this option is not disabled by default. Additionally, after doing my testing and reverting back to the default settings I didn't have a problem uploading files with this option disabled, and I haven't been able to figure out why that is yet either.

The solution, or workaround for this, is to go into the Internet Options, select the Security tab and highlight Internet. Then click the Custom Level button. Scroll down and look for the "Include local directory path when uploading files to a server" option and Enable that. You should then have no problem uploading the files. The other option would be to use a different web browser, like Firefox, for uploading your database files to your device.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby Rohan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:35 am

It is still not working...is it possible that there is something wrong with the pdb file itself? I was able to successfully upload a csv file...

I have now tried uploading the file under Windows 7 with IE8, Firefox and Safari - no luck
I have also tried with Windows XP with Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome - no luck

Does the pdb that I am uploading have to be from a newer version of HanDBase?

Thank you for your ongoing help!

Rohan
Rohan

Postby Rohan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:24 am

Well, I have figured it out - it seems that it has been a while since I updated my version of HanDBase - I installed the latest trial version, updated the Pocket PC version of the database in question, then saved it in the new format. I was then able to upload successfully!

Thank you for all of your help in testing and helping me to eliminate possibilities!

Rohan
Rohan

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch