Using Sqlite3?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Using Sqlite3?

Postby rappo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:28 pm

The app is extremely quick and responsive. I'm curious, what type of database are you using in the app? Is it sqlite3 or something else? If it's sqlite3, would you be willing to share what you did to have it respond so quickly?

Great work.
Thanks!
rappo

Re: Using Sqlite3?

Postby dhaupert » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:19 pm

rappo wrote:The app is extremely quick and responsive. I'm curious, what type of database are you using in the app? Is it sqlite3 or something else? If it's sqlite3, would you be willing to share what you did to have it respond so quickly?

Great work.
Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for the compliments. We don't use sqllite on the iPhone but a proprietary database format that is a single file that can be shared among our other platforms (Palm OS, Windows Mobile, S60, etc). It turns out to be a lot quicker than sqllite3 which is a bonus for us!
dhaupert

Postby rappo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi Dave -

Thanks for the reply. Is there the possibility of me using that proprietary database format (or a modified version of it) in my app? And if so, how much would it cost? I'm primarily looking for something that will let me get that kind of quickness. sqlite takes like 10 seconds to return just a couple hundred records. Is that what you saw too? (Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong in my sqlite setup.)
It seems like it shouldn't take that long to handle even a few thousand records. Or is the iPhone OS that limited?
rappo

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi there,

Got your email as well. At this point we don't have any libraries we could easily supply you and the work involved would likely be at a pretty large cost because of the need to create all that.

I am assuming the SQLLite would be adequate for most databases in the thousands of records size. Our HanDBase has a hard limit of 65000 records, which still opens and operates most things very quickly on the iPhone. I find the iPhone to be faster than most other platforms in this regard. So perhaps there is something in the way you're updating your tables that is taking some extra time. Perhaps you can try some tests and try to narrow down the issue!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch