Proper Steps for iPhone Sync

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Proper Steps for iPhone Sync

Postby wilbrian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 am

Are these the steps required to properly sync my iPhone with my Desktop?

1. Open HanDBase on the iPhone
2. Press the sync icon in the lower right hand corner of the iPhone's screen
3. Open my Internet Explorer browser to the address listed on the iPhone's screen
4. Observe a list of database files in the Internet Explorer browser on the desktop (Windows Vista) PC
5. Minimize the Internet Explorer browser on the desktop (optional)
6. Launch HanDBase Desktop
7. Dismiss the "Welcome To HanDBase" File Opening dialog in HanDBase desktop
8. In HanDBase desktop, click on "Configure"
9. Click on "iPhone/iPod Touch Users"
10. Click on the "Synchronize" button.

Is this the only way to accomplish a sync between iPhone and Desktop?

I'm coming from the Palm world where all of the synchronization was incorporated into HotSync Manager via a conduit therefore this seems like a lot of steps to accomplish the same thing.
wilbrian

Re: Proper Steps for iPhone Sync

Postby dhaupert » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 am

wilbrian wrote:Are these the steps required to properly sync my iPhone with my Desktop?

1. Open HanDBase on the iPhone
2. Press the sync icon in the lower right hand corner of the iPhone's screen
3. Open my Internet Explorer browser to the address listed on the iPhone's screen
4. Observe a list of database files in the Internet Explorer browser on the desktop (Windows Vista) PC
5. Minimize the Internet Explorer browser on the desktop (optional)
6. Launch HanDBase Desktop
7. Dismiss the "Welcome To HanDBase" File Opening dialog in HanDBase desktop
8. In HanDBase desktop, click on "Configure"
9. Click on "iPhone/iPod Touch Users"
10. Click on the "Synchronize" button.

Is this the only way to accomplish a sync between iPhone and Desktop?

I'm coming from the Palm world where all of the synchronization was incorporated into HotSync Manager via a conduit therefore this seems like a lot of steps to accomplish the same thing.

Hi there,

You have the right idea, but you have a bunch of extra steps:
- You can eliminate 3 through 5. Going to that with your browser is done if you don't have/need the conduit. Otherwise, the conduit uses the same communications channel.

- If you're just looking to sync, you can launch the conduit directly, it's under Start Menu, Programs, HanDBase 4, Synchronization, iPhone. You can copy that to your desktop to give yourself a good shortcut. This would replace steps 6 through 9 with a single step.

Thus if you go with the above, you'll have just 4 steps in your how to! That's still 3 more than the Palm Hotsync, which was designed to work from a single button press on the cradle, and more than the zero steps required in the Windows Mobile ActiveSync, which auto syncs when connected. There are ways we can make this process easier to do, but the fact that Apple doesn't support conduits like ours from their cable sync, means that you'll always have to at least launch HanDBase on the iPhone and some sort of desktop app, unfortunately!
dhaupert

Postby wilbrian » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:24 am

Wow, Thanks David
You've saved me many steps with this and it's working beautifully.
The key piece was finding the direct link to the Sync so that all of the additonal program opening/minimizing went away.
I know that the iPhone platform is great but it does make us feel like we are wearing mittens sometimes.
Thank you for your help and a great product.
wilbrian

Postby dhaupert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am

Glad to be of help!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch