Former Smartlist user needs help with database

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Former Smartlist user needs help with database

Postby hitekguy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 am

Hi,
I have used Smartlist To Go on the Palm platform for years, and recently got an iPhone. I bought HanDBase but I am having trouble replicating my database from Smartlist.

My Smartlist database has info on machines I work on. It has fileds for:
Part Name
Part number
Bin Location in parts room
and Notes.

That part I have no problem replicating in HanDBase. Smartlist also had a dropdown list called Category in which I had created a separate category for each machine.
So rather than scrolling through thousands of parts, I used the dropdown to select a machine and it would show me parts used only on that machine.

The only way I can think of to do this with HanDBase is to create a separate database for each machine, which I don't want to do. I would rather have one database to make
backup/sync easier.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Mike
hitekguy

Re: Former Smartlist user needs help with database

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question! You can replicate what you were doing with the category selector in Smartlist by doing the following:

Create a new field of type Popup called Category.
Edit the Popup list and enter the categories you have for your parts.
Now edit the database and adjust your existing records to their proper category.

To make the selector/filter, you will take advantage of our views feature:
At the bottom of the list view, you'll see a wide box between the + and tool buttons. Tap that, and select Edit.
Now press the + to create a new view. Give it the name of the first category you'd likely filter on.
Tap the Filters button down the screen and set the filter to only show records that have the new category field set to the name you selected for that category.
Save this and repeat for a few more categories.
Now save your way out and you'll see at the bottom the view selector again. Tap it again and you'll see a list of views, choose the right one and you should see a filtered list for only that category.

A few limitations:
A popup field can have up to 60 values
A database can have up to 20 views.
So as you can see if you use more than 20 popup values, you won't be able to create views for them all. So choose only the ones you'd likely select from a filter standpoint.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby hitekguy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks for the help. I had more than 20 categories , but I got around the
problem by creating views that used filters that showed more than one
category. I had several categories with only a few entries, so I grouped them together.
Now I am playing with the search options. One thing I liked about the
palm was that the search function searched absolutly everything.
In HanDBase I can set up quick search to search one field, but I would like it to
search all of them and return a list of all matches.
Thanks again,

Mike
hitekguy

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:47 pm

We do have an 'advanced search' under the tools button where you can search all fields (or just one). But this functions more like the find within a web page or Word document in that it highlights the first match and then you can 'repeat search' to see the next match, etc.

I agree it would be nice if there was an option to 'show all matches' rather than just show a single match. I have this as a feature for v5.0 of HanDBase which is some ways away at this point. Hopefully you can make due with the current situation for a while!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch