will HandBase have any trouble with my database?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

will HandBase have any trouble with my database?

Postby robw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:58 am

I am not yet a user of HanDBase for iphone (but years ago I used the palm version happily).
I have tinkered with a competing product, "Tap Forms", and it's crashing when trying to import my datafile.

So my question to this forum is if anyone can state with certainty that HanDBase would work with the following database.
(this database is not AT ALL complex, it's just large)

91,000 rows, with only the key (text) and a value (also text).
here's an example of the first few rows of the csv:

Serial Number, Note
54S&HR, 070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
150S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
156S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
164S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
184S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
242S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
261S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
264S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
269S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)
295S&HR,070362WASH NAVY YD (INSPECTED)

Like I said, it's dead simple, but big.

I don't want to waste $10 if this just won't work. (Since it looks like I already wasted $5 on the first app I tried)

Can anyone personally vouch for HanDBase's ability to work with this database?
(I don't expect lightning peformance, BTW)
Or could I send this datafile to someone to try on their iphone or touch?

For the record, I'm trying to do this on a 2nd generation 8GB ipod touch, running OS 3.1.2.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE !
robw

Re: will HandBase have any trouble with my database?

Postby dhaupert » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks for your question.

HanDBase on all platforms is limited to 65000 records, so the database you import will not run as is. However, it should not crash, but just import the first 65000 records. If you have a way to divide the file in half, or use the relational aspects of HanDBase to split things up, you could continue on with your quest. From all we've tested, a full 65000 record database actually runs quite fast on an iPod touch or iPhone in HanDBase. YMMV greatly with other solutions that use the SQL database engine built into the phone. ;)
dhaupert

Re: will HandBase have any trouble with my database?

Postby robw » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:06 pm

dhaupert wrote:Thanks for your question.

HanDBase on all platforms is limited to 65000 records, so the database you import will not run as is. However, it should not crash, but just import the first 65000 records. If you have a way to divide the file in half, or use the relational aspects of HanDBase to split things up, you could continue on with your quest. From all we've tested, a full 65000 record database actually runs quite fast on an iPod touch or iPhone in HanDBase. YMMV greatly with other solutions that use the SQL database engine built into the phone. ;)

cool, this is an answer that will work quite well for me. (this datafile is an extreme example, most are well under 65k rows, so splitting one or two files is not a big deal)

You just got another customer!
:-)
robw

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch