Bug ? Feature Request ? more iPhone like

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Bug ? Feature Request ? more iPhone like

Postby ivan308 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Firstly love the app. I was using Tapforms but as other people mentioned it is more of a list manager rather than a true database. To finally have relationship ability and calculated fields as well as a Desktop app - woot!!

I am not sure if these should be listed under Bugs or if they are more a Feature Request or just an effort to make the application more iPhone like .....anyway here they are

1) When editing data on a numeric field such as integer or float please pop up the iPhone numeric keyboard not the whole iPhone Querty keyboard.

2) Allow rotation between portrait and landscape on all screens. Currently if you can only rotate in list view. Once you are in edit view you cannot rotate between portrait and landscape.

3) When selecting the Database Startup option as one of the Edit functions please bring us right into Edit mode. Right now it brings you to View Record and you still have to click on the Edit button to Edit a field.

4) When clicking on a Popup or DB Popup field to edit the field please bring us right to the list of values instead of requiring a second selection of Select Popup Value especially the first time the field is clicked.
ivan308

Re: Bug ? Feature Request ? more iPhone like

Postby dhaupert » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:03 pm

ivan308 wrote:Firstly love the app. I was using Tapforms but as other people mentioned it is more of a list manager rather than a true database. To finally have relationship ability and calculated fields as well as a Desktop app - woot!!

Thanks for your post and the encouragement!

1) When editing data on a numeric field such as integer or float please pop up the iPhone numeric keyboard not the whole iPhone Querty keyboard.

There are actually two reasons we don't already do this:

1. For the float field, the numeric keyboard does not have the decimal separator so it is not very useful in that regard and since the numeric keyboard has no way to switch to the regular one, we'd have no way to ever enter a decimal point.
2. There is no done button on the numeric keyboard. So no way to hide the keyboard in cases where you'd need to (eg, in the filters screen).

I have seen some discussions on how to override the built in keyboard and put one missing item in the bottom left, but it's frowned upon (and apparently broke in OS3.0 as well). One possible solution is creating a bar above the numeric keyboard to have the decimal and done buttons. The issue there is that the keyboard is already eating up 50% of the screen without it, leaving very little space for anything. The other solution is to create our own keyboard, like what we did in the Calculation formula screen. That's probably the best option as we'd have full control over it, just hard to integrate into the solution without the regular keyboard popping up!

2) Allow rotation between portrait and landscape on all screens. Currently if you can only rotate in list view. Once you are in edit view you cannot rotate between portrait and landscape.

Thanks for your vote on this. I've posted in some older threads about why I did that- don't like how easy it is to accidentally shift into portrait or landscape. I am constantly switching as I'm walking about and looking at other screens/apps, and didn't want HanDBase doing that. So I limited the switch to the screen where you'd most benefit from a horizontal layout. But you're not alone in your vote, and I think a better solution is to make this an option in the future, where you can lock it into portrait, landscape or allow full switching!

3) When selecting the Database Startup option as one of the Edit functions please bring us right into Edit mode. Right now it brings you to View Record and you still have to click on the Edit button to Edit a field.

Yes, good suggestion!

4) When clicking on a Popup or DB Popup field to edit the field please bring us right to the list of values instead of requiring a second selection of Select Popup Value especially the first time the field is clicked.

There is a + button in the Edit Record screen. Pressing that brings you right to the popup list. Many times in those fields you don't want to use the popup, so you can then tap the value and enter the full screen editor. But just like you, many people don't get that the + button does this. The next update addresses this by using a different icon to replace the + button.

Thanks for your suggestions!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch