Upgrading versions before moving from Palm to iPhone

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Upgrading versions before moving from Palm to iPhone

Postby hrynkiw » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:41 pm

It's a bit of a tangled mess it is. I'm hoping someone here can help me work my way through it.

I'm moving from HanDBase v3.0h2 (yeah, yeah) on my Palm Tungsten T3 to HanDBase on my iPhone.

Although I also recently moved to a new desktop workstation, I have HanDBasePlus Palm v3 and HanDBase Exchange for Access readily available in my archives for installing if it would make the transfer easier.

1. Do I need to upgrade my databases to v4 on the Palm before I move them to the iPhone?
If it helps any, the databases are not very complicated. That is, no special functions; often only a central database referencing two or three additional lookup databases.

2. Is there an overview somewhere of the steps I need to go through to transfer my databases to my iPhone?
I've purchased and played around with the app from iTunes. I'm thinking of adding the $14.99 enhancement (exact name escapes me at the moment).

Hrynkiw
hrynkiw

Re: Upgrading versions before moving from Palm to iPhone

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:15 pm

Hello,

Thanks for posting. Great questions... let's take a moment to cover them.

When moving from HanDBase on one handheld platform to HanDBase for the iPhone / iPod Touch, it is important to note that the handheld application has to be purchased through the iTunes Music Store. It is available for $9.99. The handheld version has built in functionality to create and edit databases right on the device. It also have the ability to transfer the databases created on the handheld to the desktop through the integrated Desktop Connect functionality.

Whether or not you want to purchase a HanDBase for iPhone addon is entirely up to you. If you are an existing user and already have a copy of HanDBase Desktop, you may be satisfied using this software to create and edit databases that were transferred via Desktop Connect. If you are a Windows OS desktop user and would like to have the ability to synchronize between the handheld and the desktop, you may want to consider purchasing either the Plus, Professional or Enterprise addon.

If you are a new user, you can purchase one of these via http://www.ddhsoftware.com/iPhone If you are already a user of one of these packages on another handheld platform, we are providing the option of purchasing the iPhone addon for a reduced price. To take advantage of this discount, you'll need to log in to your account at http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download.html. Use your email address that you used when registering the original package and the password that you received from us upon successfully registering. If you don't still have this information, you'll see an option on that site to have it sent to you.

Once you've logged in, you'll want to find the link to the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard on the right side of the page and click it. In step one, you'll choose your existing registration from the popup list and click continue. In step two of the wizard, select the option to purchase an iPhone desktop addon and click continue. In step three, you'll want to select either the Plus, Professional or Enterprise package and once again click continue. You'll then be presented with a screen that contains a coupon code. Do NOT edit this code, but rather just click continue. At this point, you'll be taken to your shopping cart where you will be able to complete the purchase.

After successfully completing the registration, you'll be able to download the software from your account for installation. You'll also want to make note of the 16 digit registration code listed beside the download link as you'll need to enter it when installing.

In regards to the PDB format, we use this format for all platforms that HanDBase runs on, so there is actually no need to convert this to a special file format for the iPhone. Instead, you'll be able to either use the Desktop Connect functionality to install the databases to the device or install via synchronization should you have purchased one of the desktop addons.

Here's a description of the different available addons:

The following is a synopsis of the available HanDBase for iPhone desktop add-ons:

PLUS: The HanDBase Plus for iPhone add-on includes HanDBase Desktop for Windows and a two way conduit. This conduit allows for seamless synchronization between the HanDBase databases on your iPhone / iPod Touch and HanDBase databases residing on your desktop. This synchronization is at a record level, so you can update the database on the desktop and be confident that the changes are reflected on the handheld, and vice versa.

PROFESSIONAL: The HanDBase Professional for iPhone addon provides the above functionality as well as the ability to sync with Microsoft Access databases on the desktop via the Sync Exchange component of synchronization. Also provided is Data Exchange for Access, which is a tool to allow you to directly convert Microsoft Access database tables into HanDBase format databases. You can also use this software to convert a HanDBase format database into an Access database.

For more information on Sync Exchange for Access, please visit:
http://ddhsoftware.com/syncexchange_access.html?UID=

For more information on Data Exchange for Access, please visit:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/dataexchange.html?UID=

ENTERPRISE:
The HanDBase Enterprise for iPhone addon provides the above functionality as well as the ability to sync with ODBC compliant data sources that reside on the desktop. These can include sources such as FileMaker and mySQL. Data Exchange for ODBC is also included, providing functionality along the same lines of Data Exchange for Access but geared towards ODBC compliant data sources.

For more information on Sync Exchange for ODBC, please visit:
http://ddhsoftware.com/syncexchange_odbc.html?UID=

For more information on Data Exchange for ODBC, please visit:
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/dataexchange.html?UID=

Here's a description of how Desktop Connect works:

Desktop Connect is a mini web-server mode that your device is placed in, allowing available HanDBase databases to be downloaded via a desktop web browser. The following is a quick overview of how to set it up:

Step One: On the iPhone / iPod Touch, enable a wifi network connection. Make sure that this is the same network that you are connected to the same network as your desktop computer. You can verify you have a working connection by browsing to a web page in Safari.

Step Two: Launch HanDBase on the iPhone / iPod Touch.

Step Three: In the lower right corner of the database list screen, tap the icon resembling a laptop computer. You should now see that the screen turns black and displays the text "Desktop Connect". It will also be displaying a URL in the format of:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

Make note of this URL.

Step Four: On the desktop computer, launch your web browser of choice (ie, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome).

Step Five: In the address bar, enter the URL exactly as it is displayed on the iPhone's Desktop Connect screen. It needs to be in the format of:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

You should now see a list of the databases that are available on the handheld. Below the database name, you will see icons representing the ability to download the database as a PDB file (HanDBase's native format) or a CSV (structured text) file.

Along the right side of the screen, you will also see options for uploading CSV files and existing HanDBase format databases to your handheld

And finally, here's the basics on how straight forward syncing works:

To configure the initial sync with HanDBase Desktop, you'll want to follow the steps below:

1. On the handheld, initiate a wifi network connect to the same network your desktop computer is on.
2. Launch HanDBase on the handheld and tap the icon in the lower right corner. A screen will display "Desktop Connect" and a URL in the format of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
3. Open HanDBase Desktop on the computer.
4. Select the Configure -> iPhone / iPod Touch Devices menu option.
5. Select the option to Create New Partnership.
6. When prompted, enter the URL from the handheld and allow the first sync to complete.

You should then be able to proceed with regular syncs going through steps one to four. In step five, you would then select the Synchronize option.

Hope this helps to configure the partnership and sync.

Please take some time to review this and let me know if you have any additional questions!

hrynkiw wrote:It's a bit of a tangled mess it is. I'm hoping someone here can help me work my way through it.

I'm moving from HanDBase v3.0h2 (yeah, yeah) on my Palm Tungsten T3 to HanDBase on my iPhone.

Although I also recently moved to a new desktop workstation, I have HanDBasePlus Palm v3 and HanDBase Exchange for Access readily available in my archives for installing if it would make the transfer easier.

1. Do I need to upgrade my databases to v4 on the Palm before I move them to the iPhone?
If it helps any, the databases are not very complicated. That is, no special functions; often only a central database referencing two or three additional lookup databases.

2. Is there an overview somewhere of the steps I need to go through to transfer my databases to my iPhone?
I've purchased and played around with the app from iTunes. I'm thinking of adding the $14.99 enhancement (exact name escapes me at the moment).

Hrynkiw
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby hrynkiw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 am

Thank-you *very* much for the detailed reply, and my apologies for the delay in replying (we've been on vacation). I'll review your reply carefully and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Hrynkiw
hrynkiw

Postby hrynkiw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Once you've logged in, [...] HanDBase Upgrade Wizard on the right side of the page and click it. In step one, you'll choose your existing registration from the popup list and click continue. In step two of the wizard, select the option to purchase an iPhone desktop addon and click continue.

For users like me reading these instructions: In Step Two, I found the iPHone desktop addon option under "Add an Additional License for another (...) platform".

I've downloaded and installed Plus, but am having trouble using Desktop Connect to connect to the iPhone. I strongly suspect it's because my paranoid network guy has the wireless network security clamped down tight. I'll come back after we've had a chance to loosen things up just a little.
hrynkiw

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:01 pm

hrynkiw wrote:I've downloaded and installed Plus, but am having trouble using Desktop Connect to connect to the iPhone. I strongly suspect it's because my paranoid network guy has the wireless network security clamped down tight. I'll come back after we've had a chance to loosen things up just a little.

It's quite possible that the network locked off access between devices on the network. When you have a public access point, that's a very common setting to set, but it's needed in this case. If there is a problem with 'loosening the reigns' in that, you can take a look in the User Guide regarding AdHoc settings. This is a setting that lets you connect from the wireless card of your laptop to the iPod touch or iPhone directly and not going through your local network router. A little tricky to set up, but once you first get it set up, it's usually easy to use thereafter and not subject to all of these other exclusions your network guy may put in place!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch