Syncing to both iPod Touch and Blackberry

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Syncing to both iPod Touch and Blackberry

Postby Loonybin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi, you will have to bear with me because I am not very experienced with HanDBase, although I love what I have done with it so far. However, I have 2 problems.
1) I started out creating a database for my DVD collection which I synced to my Blackberry. Everything has worked great. Then I got an iPod Touch and wanted the same database on it. So, I downloaded the software for the iPod Touch as well. I did manage to sync to my iPod but I'm not sure that I have it set up right because I think I have 2 separate databases now. Can I enter the information into one database and sync it to both the iPod and the Blackberry? Or, do I have to enter my new movies in both databases - in other words, deal with them separately?

2) My second question involves fields. I added a new field to my database, and it appears fine on my desktop. However, when I sync to my Blackberry, the new movies appear, but the new field does not appear.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!
Loonybin

Re: Syncing to both iPod Touch and Blackberry

Postby dhaupert » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your posting. You can indeed sync to both your BlackBerry and iPhone with the same database. As you've seen by default the databases are kept separate as we create a mirror folder for your device that resides on your desktop computer. But if you use the shared database section on one or both of these, you can specify that the database syncs to a central location. Here's a brief overview of how:

Copy the PDB file you want to share between the two devices to your My Documents folder.
Open HanDBase Desktop
Choose Configure, iPhone/iPod touch users
Select your username and then choose Sync Settings
Down at the bottom you will see a button 'Create New Shared Database'
Browse to the My Documents folder and select the file you copied to the My Documents folder.
Close your way out of the settings.
Choose Configure, BlackBerry users
Select your username and then choose Sync Settings
Down at the bottom you will see a button 'Create New Shared Database'
Browse to the My Documents folder and select the file you copied to the My Documents folder.

Now when you sync, the database should go to that My Documents folder instead of it's mirrored copy in the other folder!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch