HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

At long last, the 'Extreme Makeover' edition of HanDBase has been submitted to Apple for approval as an update to HanDBase. This update is free to all HanDBase iPhone users and I hope you'll be as excited as I am to use it!

Here's a brief overview of what's new:

HanDBase for iPhone gets a 'makeover' in v4.5.0!

================================
All New look - carbon fiber theme (classic look selectable in prefs)
New App Icon, in program icons
New Choose Database screen with collapsing folders
Pop Up Bubbles for selecting Views, Popup values, Field and Database actions
Databases sorted can now use a right side quick index
Run Reports on various field types (with Graphs!)
Field Actions Popup: Resize field width, Sort Forward/Reverse, Report and Set Value To
Record Action: Set value to- set a field's value for all the records within the current
Scroll fields in the list view by dragging the field name bar right or left
Database Actions Popup: Email Database file
view (great for clearing all checkboxes in a checklist, for example)
Switch to and from landscape from almost any screen.
New security mode to protect specific databases from being accessed via Desktop Connect
Many bug fixes and small improvements throughout!

I will provide more detail and plan on filming a new video for demoing this version next week. I have no idea when we can expect this to be live- we've had approvals in 5 days and others that took 2 months, so our fate is in Apple's hands now!

Will keep you posted.
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Amazingly enough, I just got an email that HanDBase 4.5 was approved. I'm baffled, but thrilled at the surprise! I heard that the new Facebook app was approved in record time so perhaps Apple has changed their process somewhat- I'm optimistic about it, that's for sure.

But this obviously throws me a little off guard since I was not expecting this to happen so fast. My apologies that the screenshots, documentation, and video intro are not ready- I honestly had no idea this would happen.

I don't see the update live in the store yet, but it usually takes a few hours to go live.

Hope you enjoy this early surprise!
dhaupert

Postby nigelp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:46 am

Hi Dave

Just grabbed the update and it looks great. I like the new carbon fibre look and the tabs are a nice touch. Looking forward to exploring it more during the day. Well done and thanks.
The apple bloggs have said the app store process has been refined especially for updates etc so that must be what has happened to yours?

Nigel
nigelp

Postby jhanlon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 am

How do I organize the databases on my iPhone into folders. As it is now, I have All and Unfiled. I cannot find any means of creating new folders and designating databases to those new folders.

Jim Hanlon
jhanlon

Postby cassiel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:48 am

Looks very nice. But - alas - it has the same problem as the previous version: it's very hard to actually drag the view horizontally - on most attempts, nothing happens, or a field is selected rather than dragged. This happened with the actual records in the old version, and now happens with the titles. Pressing slightly below the titles seems to help now, but the problem still occurs.
cassiel

Postby deefault » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Dave,

WOW what an update! You weren't kidding...it looks and feels like a completely different app! I've been playing around with 4.5 for a couple hours now and it's much easier to navigate and populate records. The "balloons" for pop-up fields make them so much easier to use. The update definitely far surpassed what I was expecting. Keep up the great work!

Note: I have found a few small bugs but I'm going to play around with it a bit more before posting an update.
deefault

Postby tdnuerf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Howdy, Dave (and company) -

First off, I've been with you since HanDBase "no version" a gazillion years ago, and have never even considered using any other portable database software. Ever. You're the best.

Now that I'm an iPhone HanDBase user, I eagerly anticipated your 'Extreme Makeover' edition in order to again run field reports and to resize columns from the list view screen. I downloaded the update this morning and have played with it for about half an hour. The new features are most excellent (except the hard-to-read font choice on the database name tabs) -- thank you!

But could you look at / confirm an apparent bug? I use a lot of popup lists in a lot of databases, and the program crashes every single time I select a popup value for a field *when that field is not a popup type*. When the field *is* a popup field (where your only choice is to use a popup value), it seems to work fine.

I've found a few easily-worked-around problems with the new version, and will give you full details when I have a few more minutes (if someone else hasn't already), but thought you might want to know about this crashing thing as it's easily reproducible and not-able-to-be-worked-around (other than entering the desired value into the field manually, which is a PITA for my most-often used DBs).

Thanks again for the wonderful update!
tdnuerf

Postby jkhurst » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Dave,

It looks good. I am however experiencing two problems which are:
1) When I change the popup value using the original method of selecting the record and selecting edit, the program crashes and closes down. If I change the popup value by first selecting the checkmark on the left, it works ok.
2) When I search with the advanced search function on one of my databases, nothing happens.

Everything else looks good!

Jack
jkhurst

Postby tdnuerf » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm

(Deleted duplicate posting)
20100111, 0741
Last edited by tdnuerf on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdnuerf

Re: HanDBase 4.5.0 Folders

Postby jhanlon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:58 am

Like the new look in this update.

How do I move my databases into folders? How do I create new folders?

Jim Hanlon
jhanlon

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch