HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 am

jhanlon wrote:How do I organize the databases on my iPhone into folders. As it is now, I have All and Unfiled. I cannot find any means of creating new folders and designating databases to those new folders.

Jim Hanlon

Hi Jim,

The folders are automatically created from the categories you have for your databases. Only categories that have databases in them are shown so there are never empty folders in theory.

To create new folders, go to the Database Properties and the General section. There is a category selector there, and you can edit the categories, create new ones and reassign your database from that point.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: HanDBase 4.5.0 Submitted to App Store

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 am

tdnuerf wrote:Howdy Dave and company -

I've been with you since August 1999 when I bought HanDBase "no version" for my Palm V (I think), and I have never once considered using any other portable database software. Ever. HanDBase rules!

When I finally bailed from Palm (TX) to iPhone this past December, one of the first apps I installed was (of course) HanDBase. It was good, but I eagerly awaited your "Extreme Makeover" update primarily to get my Field Reports and Field Resizing from List View functionality back. Bravo! Everything about this update (except the hideous "Marker Felt" font on database names in the "file folder" view) is most excellent. Thank you, thank you.

That said, I gotta tell you about the bug. The one where, when you're editing or adding a record and you select a popup value for a field, HanDBase crashes. I have many popup lists (some nested three levels deep) on several of my most-often used databases, so I found this problem pretty quick. If the field for which the value being selected is a "popup" field (i.e., you can't enter something manually, but must select a popup value), everything is okay -- this only appears to happen on non-popup-type fields (e.g., "Text" and "Integer" are two field types for which I've been booted out of HanDBase).

I've found a few other minor annoyances which I will detail when I have a bit more time, but I thought you ought to know about this one as (a) it's easy to replicate, (b) it results in a hard crash every time, and (c) I can't find a workaround other than to manually type in the desired value.

All in all another superb reason to stick with HanDBase for all of my long-term memory needs!

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback and compliments. I hear you on the marker felt font- a few other users have expressed displeasure at the choice so I will make it a preference in the near future.

I also hear you regarding the crashing bug. A LOT of users have reported that one. I am working on a fix for that today. I believe the workaround is that you can select the popup for the text field from the Edit Record screen drop-downs without incident. Let me know if you find otherwise!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch