Conditional Field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Conditional Field

Postby Ajchmiel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:27 pm

I am wondering about the capability of the conditional field. I have two questions.

1. Can I have it set the value of a checkbox field? Let's say I am looking to see if a particular item was selected in a pop up menu, a meeting between two people. I would like to have a check put in a box if "Dave" was there and if he wasn't then no check.

2. Can I have it display another field? Okay, at the beginning of the database I have field asking if one or more than one device is being described in this entry. If only one item is being described I only need to display a field once, but if more than one item is being described then I need to have more than one of the fields displayed to describe the items.

I have not been able to figure out how to do these things. Am I trying to do things that are outside the scope of the iPod Touch HanDbase?
Ajchmiel

Re: Conditional Field

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Ajchmiel wrote:I am wondering about the capability of the conditional field. I have two questions.

1. Can I have it set the value of a checkbox field? Let's say I am looking to see if a particular item was selected in a pop up menu, a meeting between two people. I would like to have a check put in a box if "Dave" was there and if he wasn't then no check.

Thanks for your questions. A conditional field has a static text output of it's own. It cannot set the value of another field, but rather the output of it's own. You could easily approximate this with something like YES or NO or [X] and [ ] but that's about it!

2. Can I have it display another field? Okay, at the beginning of the database I have field asking if one or more than one device is being described in this entry. If only one item is being described I only need to display a field once, but if more than one item is being described then I need to have more than one of the fields displayed to describe the items.

I have not been able to figure out how to do these things. Am I trying to do things that are outside the scope of the iPod Touch HanDbase?

Indeed, this goes with the other question above since it would require having an effect on another field and not it's own value.

What you are looking for here is possible when we have a custom forms product for iPhone like we do on some other platforms. In those cases, you can hide a form variable based on the value of another field and that accomplishes what you're seeking. I'm happy to report that this product is in development for 2010 for the iPhone. Stay tuned for more information on this.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch