Using a cellular network connection

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Using a cellular network connection

Postby Ajchmiel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 pm

I am wondering if a cellular network connection can be used for the Desktop connect feature on an iPhone. I don't have the HanDbase Desktop software, so I have been using the IP address method for downloading databases using a wireless connection. I am wondering though, if I am in a location where there is no wireless connection but there is a connection to my cellular network, can I still generate an IP address to connect to my computer?
Thank you.
Ajchmiel

Re: Using a cellular network connection

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Hi there,

Unfortunately it's wifi only at this time. The reason for this is that the method we chose is to make the iPhone act as the 'server' in that the conduit or desktop connects to it. The nature of cellular data connection is that it uses NAT (network address translation) so that your real over the internet IP address is shared with other users and thus can't accept incoming connections.

In the future, I'd like to offer something for syncing to server from the iPhone so that Cell syncing can be possible. Still exploring ways to make this happen while working on other items but hopefully we'll have something of this nature.

In the interim, you'll see that 4.5 added an email database option to the Choose database screen (under manage). That is a good workaround for many!
dhaupert

Postby fredlef » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm wondering if there is an option for transferring via email that could be explored?
fredlef

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:42 am

The closed nature of the iPhone OS is such that the email program cannot provide HanDBase with a database attachment. They use a 'sandbox' system where one application cannot access or provide files to another application. Some third party tools make it possible to share data, but both applications must be adapted to it- it's unlikely the Apple email system will be adapted in this way, but here's hoping that iPhone OS 4.0 has some sort of provision for providing files from mail to other applications. If it did, we're all set for it!
dhaupert

Postby fredlef » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 am

Sounds good. I also tested setting up my laptop with a ad hoc wirless network making my laptop a wireless hotspot. That worked a treat as well.

Thanks,
Fred
fredlef

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch