Problem with note field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Problem with note field

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm

I understand what you are suggesting. The most daunting aspect of this issue for me is that I currently have over 2,300 records in that database alone. Again, the majority of the service record memo fields have less than 2k characters, but then I'd have to find the ones that I *think* are over the limit, and, as you said, determine where the "cut-off point" is and put the overage in another memo field. This may be one of those things I have to write off as a consequence to "grin and bear" in order to get done what needs to be done. I think I'll be keeping the Smartlist on my old T3 around longer than I thought to re-adjust, re-enter, reconcile, etc. with the HanDBase copy!

Regards
ArGiEis
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby curtterp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:56 am

ArGiEs wrote:I understand what you are suggesting. The most daunting aspect of this issue for me is that I currently have over 2,300 records in that database alone. Again, the majority of the service record memo fields have less than 2k characters, but then I'd have to find the ones that I *think* are over the limit, and, as you said, determine where the "cut-off point" is and put the overage in another memo field. This may be one of those things I have to write off as a consequence to "grin and bear" in order to get done what needs to be done. I think I'll be keeping the Smartlist on my old T3 around longer than I thought to re-adjust, re-enter, reconcile, etc. with the HanDBase copy!

Regards
ArGiEis

Its actually easy to check to see if a field(cell) has over 2,000 characters in Excel. This is how I would do it.

After exporting your Smart List to Go into a csv file
    Add a column just before/after the column of the note column (easier to have it close to the field you are checking) Name it char or anything that makes sense to you
    in the first row of data, type in "=LEN($$)" and press enter, where $$ is the cell reference of the note cell you are checking. ex B2, or B13.
    up arrow back to the cell, or click on the cell once, then grab the little black box in the lower right hand corner of the cell, and drag it down to last row that you have data. This might take a few seconds to get all the way down. The cell reference will change automatically as you go down.
    Now you have a column that shows all the char counts of the notes field (cell)

as a final touch, I would highlight the whole column, then use the conditional format. Set the conditional format to >2000 and highlight it with the color of your choice. That would make an easy visual way to see which cells are over the 2K limit. Then you could make a new column and call it notes2 or something like that, and put anything over 2K characters into this field. After all fields are under the 2K limit, then you can delete the char column before importing them to HanDBase.

Hope this helps.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 am

Glad to see you guys worked up a very smart way to work around this. Thanks so much for posting this as I'm sure it will help others out as well!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch