Problem with note field

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Problem with note field

Postby trevipod » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, because I haven't read about anyone else with the same problem.

It occurs only in a note field after I have entered data and then saved it. When I then view the record, there is a blank space above it, between the field name and the text, and below it, the equivalent of several lines of text. It's fine when I open the Edit view again - it just happens when I view the record, so it's obviously impossible to edit the lines out as they don't exist. It happens when I type the data in directly, and when I paste it from another app. I even set up another DB on the desktop and imported it - all the fields were ok except the notes, which had the same problem. It doesn't happen when the field name is set to the left, but this means that there is a large piece of screen, field-name width, on the left that is unusable.

I would be very grateful for any help on this

Many thanks
trevipod

Re: Problem with note field

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi,

Could you possibly attach a screenshot or two so I can better understand what you are referring to? I am not seeing any issues on my end but perhaps there is something specific about your preferences that makes things occur differently than my device.
dhaupert

Postby trevipod » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply - I must admit that I haven't a clue how to send a screenshot, other than take a picture of it with my digital camera!

Trevor
trevipod

Postby trevipod » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi

I have now done extensive research relating to this problem, with this result:

The problem seems to happen only when entering, or pasting, a relatively large block of text - say, more than a half-dozen lines - in one hit. It seems to be fine if the text is entered a few lines at a time, saving before entering more. Anything more than this results in a gap, the size of which seems to be proportional to the amount of data in the field, appearing at the top, between the field name and the data, and the bottom after the data. It happens only when the field name is at the top - not when it is at the side, and not when in edit mode, only when viewing. I have tried all different combinations of settings, and nothing makes any differemce.

The simplest way to replicate it is to paste a large - over 1000 characters - block of text from another application, making sure that the field name is set at the top.

If your device doesn't show this problem, I will throw mine away!

I was also concerned that the app crashed when I was scrolling up and down a large note field in View/Edit Record mode. It has happened twice. The first time I thought I had pressed the Home button by mistake, but this was definitely not the case the second time - all I was doing was moving up and down the field with only the tip of one finger touching the screen. The most worrying thing is that when it crashed, and I restarted the app, it had lost all the data I had entered that session, ie, since I last started the app. (I promise I was saving everything as I went, and it wasn't only what I had entered since the last save, it was all of it). I know this will be very difficult to replicate.

I also have a request, if it is possible, for a future update: would it be feasible to increase the Note field size from 2000 characters? 2000 characters is only about 250-300 words or so, not very much if you are recording events happening throughout an entire day.

That said, I am still sold on HanDBase - it is an excellent app!
trevipod

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:57 am

Hi there,

I am indeed seeing the problem as you describe it here- it only occurs after saving the record and reopening. I'm going to log this as a bug and take a look for the next update! Thanks for taking the time to narrow it down, and glad you get to keep your iPhone another day ;)

In regards to your request to change the note to support more than 2K worth of text, I agree as do most others. Unfortunately it will require a format change to accommodate so that means it will have to wait for a major release update, since we'd have to modify every version of HanDBase to support it. That means while we will likely see this change in the future, it's not the near future by any means. Sorry!
dhaupert

Postby trevipod » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Dave

I'm glad I can hang on to the iPod, and even more glad that I'm not hallucinating after all!

I understand about the problems involved in increasing the note field size, so I won't hold my breath

Keep up the good work

Many thanks

Trevor
trevipod

Postby trevipod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi

While you are working on the display issue in the note field, would it be possible to enable it to indicate when we have entered the maximum number or characters (currently 2000)? At the moment, there does not seem to be any way of knowing until you save it, when any excess is truncated.

You can work it out roughly by counting the number of lines, but this of course is a pain!

The desktop app simply stops accepting any more typing once the limit has been reached - is it possible to do the same with the IPod version?

Many thanks
trevipod

Postby dhaupert » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 am

Hi there,

That is a good question- I have a max characters set in the Field which for some types of text boxes works fine. But the note field and the text field don't always stop at the max, which is why I have to truncate them manually when I save the data into the record. I'm going to see if this is something Apple has since addressed- back when I implemented it, it appeared as a Bug in Apple's RADAR but not sure if it's since been resolved in some other way.
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 am

dhaupert wrote:
...In regards to your request to change the note to support more than 2K worth of text, I agree as do most others. Unfortunately it will require a format change to accommodate so that means it will have to wait for a major release update, since we'd have to modify every version of HanDBase to support it. That means while we will likely see this change in the future, it's not the near future by any means. Sorry!

This is significant to me. In referrence to my other thread reagarding transferring my data from Smartlist To Go into HB, I see a problem coming. The maximum number of characters allowed in the "memo" field (which I assume is the equivelent of the "note" field in HB) is 4,096, as opposed to HB's max of 2,000. It would appear that when I import the data into HB, any amount of text over the 2,000 limit will be truncated some way or another. This isn't desirable, since one of the memo fields in my customer database in Smartlist contains service records. Now, fortunately, the better majority of those records are under that 2000 limit, but this isn't something I really want to happen - especially if the text is truncated in such a way that it starts cutting off most recent text & works its way back. I'd loose the most recent (and thereby the more important) entries in some of my records. Is there a workaround for this?

Note: I post this, having a copy of the HB instructions (yes, I printed out all 76 pages of it), but not having read it yet - haven't had the time. Maybe the answer's there?

Regards,
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby trevipod » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi

I have the same sort of problem, which is what led me to ask the question in the first place.

I have a workaround, but it is a bit of a pain and will probably not help you at the import stage:

When I set up the DB in HDB, I created two note fields when there was a chance that the record would contain more than 2k characters, and called them, eg Notes1 and Notes2. After I have reached what I calculate to be approaching 2k characters In Notes1 (and this is not simple, as there is no indication in the handheld app of when you reach this point other than a rough calculation), I save that and enter the rest in Notes2. (Well, I did say it was a pain....).

In your case, as you are importing the file and will therefore not be able to split the original record into two (I suppose this would involve adding fields in your Smartlist DB, then cutting and pasting before you export - even more of a pain), I can't see how this will work. It is, though, a way of entering future records after you have done the changeover.

I feel for you!
trevipod

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch