A few questions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

A few questions

Postby grputnam » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am

I am having trouble with my fields on my IPod Touch. It is hard to move them to get them where I want them. I think I figured that out, I can't have the keyboard up. I have to go out of the screen then come back in to move it. But the real problem is, it will not stay where I want it. I want the order to be Last name, first mane, date, note, etc. When I turn it off and come back later the fields come up last name, note, etc. I need to move it back to the way I want it and it is not always easy to move it.

On my desk top, the fields in the edit screen are very large. I don't need them to be the size they are. My field for last name is 5 lines and the width of the window. I have tried changing the information in the properties but they seem to only change the size of the columns in the opening screen. Is there a way to change their size?

I have one field password protected but it seems that I am asked for my password when I move from one screen to the other whether I am using that field or not. In the parent data base that has the password protected field I can open the edit record screen without a password but when I close it, it asks for a password twice. If I do not use the password protected field do I have to put in a password? I thought the program would automatically put in my password? What happens if I just cancel that box and I have added something to that field?
Thanks,
gordon
grputnam

Re: A few questions

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your questions..
I am having trouble with my fields on my IPod Touch. It is hard to move them to get them where I want them. I think I figured that out, I can't have the keyboard up. I have to go out of the screen then come back in to move it. But the real problem is, it will not stay where I want it. I want the order to be Last name, first mane, date, note, etc. When I turn it off and come back later the fields come up last name, note, etc. I need to move it back to the way I want it and it is not always easy to move it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this one. Are you trying to change the field order? There are two ways this is done- if you're just setting up a database without views, you make the changes in the Database Properties section, under the edit field order screen. To move things around you touch the icon on the right of the screen and drag it upwards or downwards and put it in it's place. Those changes should stick if you're not using views.

If you're using views, you can control the order of fields within that view, so that means you should edit the order by editing within the Edit View settings and not in the Database Properties section. There is a setting within the view that says 'When Filters and Sorting Change', and gives the options of 'Do NOT Update View' and 'Update View Settings also'. The meaning of this setting is that when the former is selected, if you go editing the sorting or filters from the list view, the changes you make won't also become part of the view settings. This also applied to editing the field order. If you change the field order from the DB Properties and the 'Do NOT update view' setting is in place, it will not save this in the view. If you later call up a different view and then switch back, the changes you make are purposefully lost in this case.

On the flip side, the setting 'Update View Settings also' when selected means that you can make changes in the Edit Field order section and those changes will be saved as part of the currently selected view.

Hopefully this all makes sense and addresses your issue- if not please elaborate and I'll further reply.
On my desk top, the fields in the edit screen are very large. I don't need them to be the size they are. My field for last name is 5 lines and the width of the window. I have tried changing the information in the properties but they seem to only change the size of the columns in the opening screen. Is there a way to change their size?

The edit field properties does not have a way to specify the height for text, just the width in the list view as it's named. On the desktop we can't resize automatically as you type like we can on some platforms, nor would we want to go to another editor screen like the iPhone does for every text field, so a set size was chosen that shows you a few lines and shows scroll bars as needed.

That said, you can create custom forms for the desktop to have 100% of the control over the look and feel of the form, specifying the number of lines and much more. The forms designer is part of the Professional and Enterprise packages, and you can upgrade to those if need be. Forms is planned for iPhone as well in the future!

I have one field password protected but it seems that I am asked for my password when I move from one screen to the other whether I am using that field or not. In the parent data base that has the password protected field I can open the edit record screen without a password but when I close it, it asks for a password twice. If I do not use the password protected field do I have to put in a password? I thought the program would automatically put in my password? What happens if I just cancel that box and I have added something to that field?

There are two types of password protection, access control and encryption. Since you mention only one field being protected, I assume you're referring to the latter- encryption. When you check a field to be encrypted, all marked fields are encrypted when the record is saved. And if you don't have any changes to the field, and it's still blank or it's default value, it is still encrypted. No one should know that the value is blank as that can be private information as well!

As far as being prompted twice, I'm not quite following that- wondering if you can provide more details on what your settings are and what prompts you are seeing exactly? It may be a possible bug in the caching algorithm.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch