Forms

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Re: Forms

Postby ArGiEs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 pm

dhaupert wrote:
fritzmom wrote:Hi All

Like ArGiEs, I too am a user of Smartlist To Go on a Palm T/X. My Palm is dying so yesterday I ordered myself an Apple iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Now, I also have data in Smartlist that I would very much like to be able to keep and transfer to my new iTouch. Is this possible? and without purchasing HanDBase for Palm, as ArGiEs is going to do? I have yet to purchase HanDBase for iPod (am waiting until my new toy/memory helper arrives), and will also be purchasing one of the add-ons to sync with my desktop PC running Win XP, although I don't know what 'supporting ODBC' is and if I need that.

I'm not very computer savvy, definitely NOT Appleware savvy (this will be my first apple purchase), so need advise in layman terms. I've read the rest of this posting, but feel confused.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered to me.
Barb

Hi Barb,

You definitely won't need to purchase the Palm version- the iPhone version and it's desktop counterpart (HanDBase Plus addon for iPhone) would suit the bill just fine. There are a few other threads on this forum about transferring from Smartlist, the basic process is that you have to convert your Smartlist databases to CSV, import to HanDBase and readjust the field types. Since Smartlist is a proprietary format, we have no way to read or import these in directly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions once you get started!

Don't have to purchase the Palm version? Wish I'd known that before. Either way, what plan to do is re-create the Smartlist(s) template(s) with the corresponding fields in HanDBase so there will be a template all ready for it when I port the data in. Is my logic sound?

(Then again, one reason I got the Palm version is to learn the ropes of HanDBase until I obtain my iPod Touch. )

Sincerely,
ArGiEs
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby ArGiEs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Let me add some more info to my post(s).

I will be using MS Access as the vehicle to port Smartlist data into HanDBase. Smartlist has tools just for things like that (one may import into Access or Excell from Smartlist). Works well...especially since my computer technician will be doing it for me, as in times past :D

Regards,
ArGiEs
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 am

ArGiEs wrote:Don't have to purchase the Palm version? Wish I'd known that before.

If you bought within 30 days, you can get a refund- just email our sales address to request one. But...

Either way, what plan to do is re-create the Smartlist(s) template(s) with the corresponding fields in HanDBase so there will be a template all ready for it when I port the data in. Is my logic sound?

(Then again, one reason I got the Palm version is to learn the ropes of HanDBase until I obtain my iPod Touch. )

Yes indeed, if you're using it as an interim solution there is not much wrong with buying the Palm version ahead of your device. Plus, you now qualify as a registered user, and get a discount on the iPhone desktop/conduit versions if you purchase them via the Registered User's page (look for the Upgrade Wizard along the side).

I will be using MS Access as the vehicle to port Smartlist data into HanDBase. Smartlist has tools just for things like that (one may import into Access or Excell from Smartlist). Works well...especially since my computer technician will be doing it for me, as in times past

This is actually the best way to move the data between them- a bit more costly than the basic versions of HanDBase which can use the CSV file as the go between, but since the field types automatically get set, you save a lot of time. And if you're going to be syncing to Access at some point, it's the smarter choice anyway!
dhaupert

Previous

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch