Forms

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Forms

Postby ArGiEs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Hello - this question requires some explanation, so please bear with me.

I am currently a user of DataViz' Smartlist To Go database program for Palm OS, on which I run my business. I have been cosidering what platform to port everything over to, and, all things considered, iPhone OS and the iPod Touch seem to be the most logical choice for what I need. As of yet I don't have an iPod Touch, nor do I have any experience with HanDBase.

I do know that others have successfully ported data from Smartlist into HB for iPhone; also, that the field types in Smartlist are basically the same as those in HanDBase.

I wish to port my business database from Smartlist into HanDBase. I intend to do this by installing HanDBase for Palm on my Palm device, and (after learning to use HB & creating the appropriate form) export the data from Smartlist into HanDBase, and the export from HanDBase for Palm into HanDBase for iPhone into the iPod Touch.

My concern is this: I have been browsing this forum, and I have read posts regarding the creating of forms on iPhone (I fully realize that I may be confiused by my ignorance on HB); is it possible to create forms on iPhone HB? My most important database is fairly simple: mostly text & memo fields, a date field, a DB join, and an image field (the DB join and the image field are not ultra-critical, BTW); I need to be able to create the same form in HB for iPhone as in HB for Palm for my database to land in once I'm ready to port it.

Perhaps a silly question, but I've got to find out all this kind of thing before I jump in full into this. More questions after this gets answered.

Regards,
ArGiEs
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: Forms

Postby dhaupert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. You have a good understanding of the best course of action, seems like you've done your homework well!

In regards to forms, HanDBase without forms and Smartlist function in a similar manner. That is, what Smartlist refers to as forms are about as configurable as the HanDBase program is when there is no custom form created. You can control the order and which fields are visible. You can have signature fields, relational fields, etc all listed in this scrollable form. You can use heading fields to divide things up into sections, etc. I believe that Smartlist had a way to divide things into tabs rather than the headings we do, but this is similar regardless. And as you know having used Smartlist for all these years, you can get by pretty well without any further customizations of forms.

Now, our custom forms go way beyond this in terms of configurability - you can create controls anywhere you want on the screen and design screens that are as unique as you are. There are buttons and tabs that can be added with dozens of custom actions so it's like you're creating your own interface. What comes from that typically are about 2 or 3 main design patterns we've seen:

1. A mess of controls all squeezed onto a single screen to avoid scrolling!
2. A tabbed interface to divide things up into logical sections
3. A wizard approach where a question or group of questions is asked using more verbage, and then a next/prev button to continue along.

There are of course other uses for this, but these are the main ones we've seen thus far!

So that is the forms that users are discussing- they are very exciting and open up a new world of possibilities for database and app design on a device. And this is what we're in early development of for the iPhone as well.

Hope this clarifies things- fire away any further questions you may have!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Thank you very much for your reply! I figured my confusion stemmed from not understanding in that what Smartlist calls "forms" isn't the same thing as what they are in HB. This info is a relief.

Now, next question: I keep coming across terms like "sandboxing" in reference to how iPhone OS runs third-party apps. I've seen the term before; and in this case it's in reference to entering text into 3rd party apps - namely, that text must be copied & pasted into a 3rd-party applications. Is this true (I can't see that it would be - it would make for very, very, encumbered data entry and editing)? Or can data be added/edited directly to HanDBase?

Also: is there anyone out there in this forum that's actually ported from Smartlist To Go into HanDBase? Could you please share your experience or any tips? Thanks again!

All the best,
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby Rexford » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Are you saying that there is a forms capability on the iPhone/touch?

Thx
Rexford

Postby ArGiEs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my query: bottom line is, if I try to edit/enter text through the screen keypad, will that text have to be copied and pasted into HanDBase, or can I edit/add directly as in any other OS/smartphone?

I posted this question in a similar form on an iPhone forum; the answer I recieved was that, in essence, any properly written app for iPhone will allow access to the virtual keypad.

I will assume, then, that HanDBase does so.
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 pm

ArGiEs wrote:Thank you very much for your reply! I figured my confusion stemmed from not understanding in that what Smartlist calls "forms" isn't the same thing as what they are in HB. This info is a relief.

Now, next question: I keep coming across terms like "sandboxing" in reference to how iPhone OS runs third-party apps. I've seen the term before; and in this case it's in reference to entering text into 3rd party apps - namely, that text must be copied & pasted into a 3rd-party applications. Is this true (I can't see that it would be - it would make for very, very, encumbered data entry and editing)? Or can data be added/edited directly to HanDBase?

Also: is there anyone out there in this forum that's actually ported from Smartlist To Go into HanDBase? Could you please share your experience or any tips? Thanks again!

All the best,

Sandboxing means that one application can't access data from another. They each play (ie, have their data files) in their own sandbox that others can't access. That has no bearing on entering data within your own application. From the standpoint of HanDBase, sandboxing has few repercussions since our format is unique to our own application. The only downsides being that the email program can't send us a database file you may have received as an attachment. But there are rumors that this may change in the future for iPhone OS- I'm hoping that turns out to be true!

Regarding copy and pasting, they are referring to transferring data from one application to another- you have to copy and paste to do that since you can't just pass the file around like you can on other OS'.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Rexford wrote:Are you saying that there is a forms capability on the iPhone/touch?

Thx

Hi,

Not at this point- I'm sorry if this posting led to that conclusion- it was a followup to an earlier one where he said he knew that HanDBase for iPhone did not have forms but I explained the term forms is kind of loaded, depending on who uses it.

As you can see in other threads, forms are planned for the iPhone version of HanDBase, but not yet fully implemented/available.
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm

ArGiEs wrote:Perhaps I should have been clearer in my query: bottom line is, if I try to edit/enter text through the screen keypad, will that text have to be copied and pasted into HanDBase, or can I edit/add directly as in any other OS/smartphone?

I posted this question in a similar form on an iPhone forum; the answer I recieved was that, in essence, any properly written app for iPhone will allow access to the virtual keypad.

I will assume, then, that HanDBase does so.

Yes, definitely. See my prior response just posted for more on that!
dhaupert

Postby fritzmom » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi All

Like ArGiEs, I too am a user of Smartlist To Go on a Palm T/X. My Palm is dying so yesterday I ordered myself an Apple iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Now, I also have data in Smartlist that I would very much like to be able to keep and transfer to my new iTouch. Is this possible? and without purchasing HanDBase for Palm, as ArGiEs is going to do? I have yet to purchase HanDBase for iPod (am waiting until my new toy/memory helper arrives), and will also be purchasing one of the add-ons to sync with my desktop PC running Win XP, although I don't know what 'supporting ODBC' is and if I need that.

I'm not very computer savvy, definitely NOT Appleware savvy (this will be my first apple purchase), so need advise in layman terms. I've read the rest of this posting, but feel confused.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered to me.
Barb
fritzmom

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm

fritzmom wrote:Hi All

Like ArGiEs, I too am a user of Smartlist To Go on a Palm T/X. My Palm is dying so yesterday I ordered myself an Apple iPod Touch 3rd Gen. Now, I also have data in Smartlist that I would very much like to be able to keep and transfer to my new iTouch. Is this possible? and without purchasing HanDBase for Palm, as ArGiEs is going to do? I have yet to purchase HanDBase for iPod (am waiting until my new toy/memory helper arrives), and will also be purchasing one of the add-ons to sync with my desktop PC running Win XP, although I don't know what 'supporting ODBC' is and if I need that.

I'm not very computer savvy, definitely NOT Appleware savvy (this will be my first apple purchase), so need advise in layman terms. I've read the rest of this posting, but feel confused.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered to me.
Barb

Hi Barb,

You definitely won't need to purchase the Palm version- the iPhone version and it's desktop counterpart (HanDBase Plus addon for iPhone) would suit the bill just fine. There are a few other threads on this forum about transferring from Smartlist, the basic process is that you have to convert your Smartlist databases to CSV, import to HanDBase and readjust the field types. Since Smartlist is a proprietary format, we have no way to read or import these in directly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions once you get started!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch