I'm giving in!

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

I'm giving in!

Postby grputnam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 am

After struggling to get my iPod touch to work with my system I am going to return it and go to either a BlackBerry or Palm Pro. The straw that brok my back is the iPod does not have encryption sufficient for our system. Our system does support the other two. Which one will be best for HanDBase?
Thanks,
Gordon
grputnam

Re: I'm giving in!

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 am

grputnam wrote:After struggling to get my iPod touch to work with my system I am going to return it and go to either a BlackBerry or Palm Pro. The straw that brok my back is the iPod does not have encryption sufficient for our system. Our system does support the other two. Which one will be best for HanDBase?
Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

The iPod version of HanDBase includes 128 bit encryption. Perhaps you have not configured it properly? I can't imagine you'd require more than that - HIPAA certainly doesn't mandate it, and most SSL storefronts still use this same encryption.

The iPhone OS itself does not include encryption, though their new iPhone 3GS has device level encryption. The BlackBerry platform includes encryption device level, but requires an IT department to set all that up for you and manage access to it. I can't comment on the speed and usefulness of this in the real world, but for me the device is far slower than any other alternative. The Palm Pre doesn't have any device level encryption at all yet, and no plans that I'm aware of, nor does it natively run HanDBase. You can look in the Palm OS section of this forum to see the info on the Classic application you can buy for the Palm Pre to run HanDBase for Palm OS on it. If you meant the Palm Treo Pro, that runs Windows Mobile, and again has our 128 bit encryption in it, the same as the iPod touch solution. I believe you can find some third party solutions to encrypt the entire device as well, but nothing I'm aware of is included with it.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby grputnam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Dave,
The problem with the iPod is not that HanDBase can’t encrypt the information but that Apple doesn’t encrypt so our hospital IT will not support it. So I can’t use the VPN connection they have and I can’t figure out any other way to make the connection to my desk top. The medical school uses iPods but that is a different system and different IT. Maybe I will try once more to see if your encryption would suffice for them. I hadn’t thought of that. Big system is not so flexable.
I will get back to you what I find out.
Thanks again,
Gordon
grputnam

Postby nefserrano@gmail.com » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Here are some options you may want to consider before throwing in the towel (P.S. I too have had to fight IT people at our medical clinic):

1. One potential method of getting database files off of your iPod and onto a desktop (Mac only unfortunately) is to use a program called PhoneView. It basically gives you access to the iPod's files when attached via the usb cord.

and/or

2. If the problem is that there is concern over whether the device could be stolen, Apple has just announced a feature called "Find My iPhone" which can help you locate and remotely erase the iPhone/iPod. Also, the device itself has the passcode option that you can set that will lock the entire device so that no one can use it, and there is even an option to have it delete itself after a specified number of attempts to enter a passcode. This does require a membership to their service called MobileMe, however. I find it useful.

My opinion is that those three elements (HanDBase encryption, iPod user passcode with delete option, remote wipe) should be more than enough for HIPAA considering that docs have been using Palms for years with much worse security (and considering the reality that there is very little chance of something actually happening.)
nefserrano@gmail.com

Postby nefserrano@gmail.com » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Sorry, I read my post and realized I inserted a sentence where it should not have gone. The MobileMe service is only for the remote wipe. The other features are already built in.
nefserrano@gmail.com

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm

nefserrano@gmail.com wrote:
1. One potential method of getting database files off of your iPod and onto a desktop (Mac only unfortunately) is to use a program called PhoneView. It basically gives you access to the iPod's files when attached via the usb cord.

Phoneview actually only lets you store and access files that can't be accessed by other programs. There is a tool that parses the iTunes backup file to let you get your PDB files that way. There are windows and mac versions and both are freeware. But this particular issue is installing databases to an iPod touch, not getting backups, so none of the options apply for wired transfer of data, to my knowledge.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch