Questions related to 3.0 update for IPOD Touch

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Questions related to 3.0 update for IPOD Touch

Postby Mixer1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:48 pm

Apple is making an update avialbale to 2nd Gen IPOd Touch users that will allow, among other things, the ability to use virtual keyboard when unit is turned "on it's side" ($9.95 update)

This will give more space and I would plan to use it quite often.

I know currently HaDbase doesn't switch orientation. But will that be added, especially with the advent of the keyboarding availability on the Touch??

I'm sure there are issues with how to handle filed lengths in that orientation. Even if you just keep the same percentages and allow it to look more spread out or goofy . . . .it would sure be nice to be able to view AND keyboard that way.
Mixer1

Re: Questions related to 3.0 update for IPOD Touch

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Mixer1 wrote:Apple is making an update avialbale to 2nd Gen IPOd Touch users that will allow, among other things, the ability to use virtual keyboard when unit is turned "on it's side" ($9.95 update)

This will give more space and I would plan to use it quite often.

I know currently HaDbase doesn't switch orientation. But will that be added, especially with the advent of the keyboarding availability on the Touch??

I'm sure there are issues with how to handle filed lengths in that orientation. Even if you just keep the same percentages and allow it to look more spread out or goofy . . . .it would sure be nice to be able to view AND keyboard that way.

Hi,

HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch has suported landscape mode since our first release. There was nothing in the OS that restricted it, it's just that the built in apps did not support this (with the exception of Safari). In HanDBase, if you are in the list view and rotate to landscape, the view will switch and this view will stay for all but one or two screens in HanDBase that we couldn't easily support landscape. Thankfully they are obscure and not used very often, so that is likely irrelevant. Give it a try!
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:14 am

Actually, I see the touch keboard already there. I have 2.2.1 version of touch
And I saw that 3.0 update touting this like I didn't have it. Silly me.

However, I still can't get handfbase to go landscape no matter matter
What I try.vesion 4.4.1

Other apps, safari, etc do it fine but
Not HanDBase.
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:11 am

I assume you mean 4.1.1, but no matter, they all work. As I mentioned, the only screen you can switch to landscape is the list view. This is the view with the list of records in a database. Make sure you tilt from portrait to 90 degrees counterclockwise. I know many other apps support landscape in both directions, but honestly I'm hypersensitive to the whole auto-switching thing. When I am working on something and laying down and picking up my iPhone I hate when it keeps auto switching, and I imagine others do as well, so I specifically restricted the app to only the one direction to limit this from happening!
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 pm

yeah 4.1.1

And you know. I thought Landscape was not working because I did not realize the only "portal" into that view was via the View screen. I see now. And since my Touch 2.2.1 already has the landscape keyboard - - -I'm happy.

But you know - going counterclockwise is natural for a right hander because you keep your thumb ion the button. But I would think only having counter-clockwise available is counter-intuitive for a lefty. And I don't really understand why you where you can get into landscape. Not to sound critical. I LOVE the database on my Touch. Once I got past the things you had to midify to make it sort of conform to that platform, it took right off. Thanks.

Thanks

And thanks for adding additional functionality to the new forums as well. It's only getting better!
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm actually a lefty, ironically. Since the device has no real buttons other than home, I don't think there is much of a difference. What I was trying to say is that it can be very disconcerting if the accelerometer thinks your movement of the phone as you're walking and filling things out means you want to switch. When using safari, I find all the time that it mistakenly thinks I'm switching to landscape or back if I lay the device down on a table. I was trying to minimize that.

That said, I'm all for a user preference for this some time. I think it's a lower priority than other features and issues I'd like to see addressed, but perhaps some time in the near future..

Take care and thanks again!!
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:31 pm

OK. I must recant or renounce my last post <g>

You can't have your cake and eat it too. It doesn't make sense that I can only go INTO landscape from the list screen . . . . but that I can accidently be take out of Landscape from any screen once there. It certainly appears that's the case.
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:14 pm

I see your point. I'll have to check to see if in 3.0 they fixed a few of the issues with the sizing of the status bars. There were several screens that supporting a switch to landscape meant working around several bugs and inconsistencies. For example, you'll notice that the size of the navigation bar at the top is different when you switch the list view to landscape vs going to it from another screen while in landscape. The OS was making that bar a different size depending on how it was being loaded up, and for me to address it in 30 or so screens would be a lot of coding that can break at any time when they do fix their problem. But if it's fixed in 3.0 it would not be a day of work doing geometry on each screen to make this a preference that users can turn off.

Interestingly I had installed iPhone 3.0 on my wife's iPhone 3G to do some testing last night, and this morning she was complaining she didn't like it. She said that the device seemed to be constantly switching to and from landscape in almost every app now, instead of just Safari. So at least the Haupert's are consistent in finding the auto-switch to be a nuisance in some instances ;)
dhaupert

Postby Mixer1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 pm

FYI it's really starting to irk me that I can only get into Landscape
one place but can be arbitrIly kicked back out with just a slight
inclination oft arm. Ironic isn't it that what you dislike about
landscape turning on is just what I hate in reverse sort of about
getting back out of it the way you have it. Please please enable
it all or disable it by giving an option for user to deside. I don't want
to ne your doubleganger much longer!
Mixer1

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Mixer1 wrote:FYI it's really starting to irk me that I can only get into Landscape
one place but can be arbitrIly kicked back out with just a slight
inclination oft arm. Ironic isn't it that what you dislike about
landscape turning on is just what I hate in reverse sort of about
getting back out of it the way you have it. Please please enable
it all or disable it by giving an option for user to deside. I don't want
to ne your doubleganger much longer!

Thanks for your post. Adding in an option is not a simple feature, we have to calculate screen geometry to support rotation on each and every screen, which is quite a bit of work considering how many screens there are in HanDBase compared to an app like mail. This is exacerbated by some inconsistencies in the size of the top bar whether you were in landscape when you came in vs switching while in the screen. That is, the height of the top bar is not the same.

At any rate, I do see and agree with your comments that it should be added, just wanted to let you know it was not a simple option. When prioritizing work, if it's a simple change, I can put it into the next update, otherwise, it gets trumped by other easy fixes and high priority/requested features. I have not had many (or any) aside from you for this feature, so it's not likely to be addressed in the next update or two. It will be addressed at some point though. Sorry!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch