ZIP function

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

ZIP function

Postby Dlevymd1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am

I see you can email a Database as an email attachment. What if the Database is very large, is there anyway to ZIP the database prior to attaching it to an email? Is there a 3rd party App that can do this?
Dlevymd1

Re: ZIP function

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your recent questions. You raise a good point- right now we always attach the entire PDB file. It could be possible for us to zip it if it gets bigger than a certain size. This is something I frankly did not think of, nor have I heard a request for thus far, but it makes sense.

What size is your typical large database?
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 pm

We have a database of about 4000 records. Its 3300K at the piont. On our Windows Mobile phones we ZIP it (with Resco File Explorer) Prior to emailing. It compresses to about 1300K. As you well know, Windows Mobile is at the end of its life. Its replacement, Window Phone 7 Series seems to be aimed at teenagers (with Facebook and Xbox integration), not for people who use smart phone in their professional lives. That is why I am "switching religions" and considering the iPhone. I own an iPhone (its my sons) and I have been up nights trying to get my system to works on it. Handbase looks incredible on the iPhone. Bravo to you and your team!!!!!
Dlevymd1

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks Dan,

The 3300k attachment if allowed on your servers should work fine with HanDBase on the iPhone. Typically at around 10MB the file size gets unwieldy for the iPhone.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch