Are there alarms (non-connected)?

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Are there alarms (non-connected)?

Postby ArGiEs » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:39 pm

As I go through the Palm OS HanDBase manual, I see that alarms can be set for individual records. Scanning the iPhone version manual, I don't see the topic listed. Are there alarms in the iPhone version as in the Palm version? And, if yes, are they "offline" - that is, not dependent on connectivity to function? In real-life usage of my iPod Touch, I will hardly ever be connected to the web except at home, so the "push" alerts would be useless.
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Re: Are there alarms (non-connected)?

Postby dhaupert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi there,

The iPhone version doesn't have alarms capability. Up until now, your app would either always be running to show the alarm (since when you switch to the home screen, HanDBase closes due to Apple not letting 3rd party apps run in the background) or have to use push notifications for alarms. Neither seemed like a good option for HanDBase so we elected to leave out this little used feature in HanDBase. Now in OS 4.0, they are adding a multitasking service to alarm type of notifications on the device. In theory we could revisit this feature once that starts shipping, but the reality is that you're the first and only one to ask about this feature, so at this point I'd have to wait and gauge user interest before spending time and development on this feature.

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks for your reply. The reason I even inquired about alarms in the first place is that with my Palm (and to a lesser degree with my BalckBerry) I heavily use alarms and alerts with my customer records. I use Bug Me!+ for Palm, in which one can take screen captures of anything and make it an alarm. In the world of iPod touch, apps with alarms are rare, it seems. I think Pocket Informant has Push alerts, and Electric Pocket and Bridworks say they're working on alerts for their apps.

Well, if I'm the first to request, perhaps you could take a a forum poll to see what kind of interest the members would have. Count me in as a yes vote!
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 am

Forum polls are not generally effective when the forums' main purpose is support. There aren't a lot of customers reading these forums just for their own interests, unfortunately. Most are coming here when they have a request or an issue, and so the best way to gauge interest is to see how many people follow up to a posting, for example, if they are interested in alarms, they will search for it and find this posting. It's easy to see the features that customers want most from us as there are numerous posts about them and many views and responses to them. A great example is custom forms, another is an improved Mac Desktop program.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby ArGiEs » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:26 pm

I wasn't actually counting on the poll being a truly accurate guage of comsumer interest; just more of a curiosity thing.

I have decided to hold off on purchasing certain apps until iPhone OS v. 4.0 is delivered, so developers have a chance to add alerts features to them (except for HanDBase, that is).
Regards,
Bob
ArGiEs

Postby dkeiffer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 pm

I would greatly appreciate alarm capability as I am porting over a MyHealth application from the Palm OS and need this feature for MyAppointments feature of my application.
As I read above, iOS4 may make this possible for HanDBase to develop.
Thank you,
dkeiffer

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi there,

I saw your other posting in the general category and just moved it here so it's in the right place! Thanks for your feedback regarding the alarm function- the great thing is that HanDBase's database structure has the storage necessary to support such a feature in the future without a large change in the structure of the databases, so it's quite possible we'll see this in the future, especially now that iOS4 makes this possible. Let's see what the interest level is from others like yourself!

I will say that it's not likely to happen in the next few months due to other higher demand items being worked on!
dhaupert

Postby flepper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 am

Hi,

I am a long time HandBase user and was really hoping to see alarms added to the OS4.0 version.

Alarms are a very important feature for me in my HandBase databases. Please add to the next release if possible.

Thank you.

Fred
flepper

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your post. Alarms are indeed technically possible with iOS4, though HanDBase on the iPhone does not support this feature. While I know I have a great use for them with my own HanDBase usage, I know that only a relative few people have 'missed this feature', and at this time it's not queued up for any near term release. HanDBase Forms are something that most if not all users seem to care most about and that is about a 6-9 month project to add and occupying most of the iPhone development time these days. Maybe when that's behind us, we'll have some more users like yourself who want this feature and we can revisit. In the short term though, I'd be telling a lie if I said it was coming soon. Very sorry!
dhaupert

Postby flepper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 pm

I appreciate your honest reply Dave.

I do admit, forms would be nice to have as well. I'll just have to put alarms back in my "maybe someday" basket. Hopefully we'll see them yet.

Thanks.

Fred
flepper

Next

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch