Compared to the palm and blackberry versions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

Compared to the palm and blackberry versions

Postby SusieN56 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 pm

I have used the Palm version for more years than I care to admit!!! I did just upgrade to version 4 so that I would still be current, but that took a long time for me to do.

I don't carry the Palm TX with me all the time, and I know it can't be replaced, so I am looking into alternatives. I am almost done with my trial on my Blackberry storm and I don't care for it on the Storm at all. Mostly, it is ridiculously slow. But, also I can't copy a record and I can't adjust the field size. I only loaded three of the databases I have, and I would really be loading close to 50.

I do have an iTouch, which is in my car for music. I could use the iTouch version, but considering my dislike of the blackberry version, I am hesitant to buy the iTouch version, but it seems like there is no free trial.

I don't want to get rid of my palm license, but would like to have the flexibility of another platform available. Carrying three devices just isn't practical.

I sync the storm and the palm with a windows PC but do have a Mac laptop if it makes any difference.
SusieN56

Re: Compared to the palm and blackberry versions

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi,

While some customers may have the experience level of trying BlackBerry, Palm OS, and iPhone/iPod touch versions, it's probably a pretty small group that do. I have had the fortune of using all versions we've built, and I'd rank the iPhone version slightly behind the Palm OS and Windows Mobile versions in terms of functionality, but far ahead of the BlackBerry version (and for that matter, the S60 and Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone) versions). In terms of stability, I'd put the iPhone version on top. While it's not perfect, it's proven to be a very stable platform thus far. And it's probably the fastest version we have as well- a marked difference from the Java based performance of a BlackBerry!

In terms of the features you mentioned, you can resize field widths, you have full database design capabilities right on the device. You can not however copy records from one database to another as you could on Palm. That feature is not yet present.

I wish we could provide a time limited demo but the App store rules don't allow for demo versions. They do allow for lite versions and this is something I've considered, if I can figure out a combination of features that would be representative of a demo version, and still pass the Apple guidelines. They are really strict about this.

That said, we do have a video of a pre-release of the iPhone version in action, and you can see from the App Store reviews, that it's favored highly by actual users.

Lastly, because we have to sell the actual iPod version separately than the desktop (due also to Apple's strict policies on this), you can buy it for US$9.99 by itself and it's not as big a risk as buying something like the Professional version of the other versions of our product.

Hope this helps and I hope others chime in with their thoughts here!
dhaupert

Postby rvaneerd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:03 pm

dhaupert wrote:I wish we could provide a time limited demo but the App store rules don't allow for demo versions. They do allow for lite versions and this is something I've considered, if I can figure out a combination of features that would be representative of a demo version, and still pass the Apple guidelines. They are really strict about this.

Hi Dave,

Although being a former Palm TX User and an active iPhone user (I liked both HanDBase as well as the iPhone, and trusted your developments to come up to speed once) I may have an idea for a lite version (if possible from your development end):
:idea: Why not provide a Lite version with restricted number of DBs (say two or three to fiddle around with the linking) and a restricted number of records per database? :idea:
I've seen apps like that in the past (although I forgot which ones) or even games with a Lite version restricting in the number of levels.

Thought I'd throw in a few pennie-worth-thoughts ;) to whish you the best in enhancing HanDBase which actually is one of my most important apps on the iPhone!

Regards and keep up the good work. :!:
Rob van Eerd
Rosmalen, The Netherlands
rvaneerd

Postby SusieN56 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Dave
Am I correct that the desktop version that I already have is all I would need beside buying the App from the App Store?

Susanne
SusieN56

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 pm

SusieN56 wrote:Dave
Am I correct that the desktop version that I already have is all I would need beside buying the App from the App Store?

Susanne

You can use any copy of HanDBase 4's desktop with the iPhone. And you can use Desktop Connect to copy databases back and forth to your iPhone. There is one piece of the puzzle that you may want to consider- HanDBase Plus for iPhone add-on and HanDBase Professional for iPhone add-on. The former is Mac or Windows and supplies a two way sync conduit for the iPhone. The latter is Windows only and can also sync to Microsoft Access. More info on this is here:

Windows: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_iPh ... addon.html
Mac: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_macplus.html

In both cases, if you have a copy of HanDBase for another platform already, you can receive a discount on the purchase of this add-on. It's an option you'll find under the HanDBase Upgrade Wizard on our registered user's page.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch