linea pro barcode sled and forms database questions

Discussion of the version of HanDBase that runs on the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This includes the synchronization conduits as well.

linea pro barcode sled and forms database questions

Postby wkrespan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:41 pm

We use HandBase on the PalmOS with wizard like "forms" where we scan a barcode and it finds the item in the loaded database on the palm device
and then the user performs an action on the item and this is saved etc.

We've purchase IPod Touch,HandBase and Linea pro Barcode sled which was in use in Apple Stores for awhile,
and would like to work toward a similiar solution as we've been using on Palm
So now the questions.

Any plans to include the Linea pro interactivity into HandBase iPhone ?

Until forms come online in a new version of HandBase is there an api I can use to create my own IPhone app gui etc.
to work with the HandBase db file and Linea Pro on the iPod touch?

Please forgive any elementary questions I may be asking, and thanks for anyone's time in answering my questions!

Will Krespan
wkrespan

Re: linea pro barcode sled and forms database questions

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Will,

Thanks for writing and your interest. Interestingly enough, I am working on adding support for the Linea pro reader- I actually have one sitting on my desk right now! Since none of our beta testers currently have one, perhaps you could help us in that regard when I get closer?

If you're interested, please feel free to email me directly so I can get you set up for beta testing the linea pro beta version when ready!

In regards to forms, there is no other API or capability other than controlling the edit record screen itself via heading fields and such. Once forms is released that will likely meet your need/requirement.

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby RomanP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi Dave,

I received news letter with announcement that Socket Mobile will sell soon BT barcode scanner with iPhone support (http://ww1.socketmobile.com/products/bl ... nners.aspx and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImI_oqXICGk). It would be a great addition to HanDBase to have barcode support in it.
I hope that they will add Android OS to their supported platforms and your coming soon Android version also will have barcode support.

Regards,
Roman
RomanP

Postby dhaupert » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi there Roman,

Thanks for your interest. When it comes to Bluetooth scanners, it's possible that Socket is using the iOS4 feature of supporting bluetooth keyboards. In this case, they would just be 'typing' in the values they scan into whatever program has the foreground. If they did it that way, it would work with just about every program out there, including HanDBase. Let's hope so, and if not, I'll certainly be watching for ways to integrate it!
dhaupert

Postby Saintor » Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 pm

dhaupert wrote:Hi there Roman,

Thanks for your interest. When it comes to Bluetooth scanners, it's possible that Socket is using the iOS4 feature of supporting bluetooth keyboards. In this case, they would just be 'typing' in the values they scan into whatever program has the foreground. If they did it that way, it would work with just about every program out there, including HanDBase. Let's hope so, and if not, I'll certainly be watching for ways to integrate it!

Hello. Anybody tried a Socket scanner with HB on an iphone/ipod? It would do wonders for us.

Unfortunately the Ipod Touch 4G cameras don't have the same autofocus as the iphone, so it will never be a viable option, whatever the app. The Socket scanner is expensive, but not really more than a typical scanner bluetooth.
Saintor

Postby Saintor » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 am

Got a reply (I asked them the question)

Socket Mobile, Inc. wrote:Yes, the CHS 7 series will work with your application. It enters the information wherever the cursor is located on the peripheral device.
Saintor

Postby dhaupert » Fri May 13, 2011 10:44 am

Hi there,

Sorry I missed your original post and hadn't responded until now. From what I've heard from customers, the socket scanner works with HanDBase. But it has a problem that is inherent in the bluetooth drivers they need to use. Originally the only Bluetooth the iPhone suported was for phone calls/headsets. Then they added wireless audio profiles. iOS4 added support for additional bluetooth profiles and one was a wireless keyboard.

This is the one that they are using. When you scan with the socket scanner it effectively types in the value of the barcode you scan as though it were a keyboard hooked up. That works fine in theory but one side effect is when a device is connected via the BT profile like this, the on screen iPhone keyboard never shows. This is because Apple thinks you have a keyboard and would rather have the full screen to see your information, not a keyboard that you won't be using. Since the Socket Scanner doesn't have an actual keyboard, it means you can't really type into any fields in HanDBase or elsewhere while the scanner is connected. That is an issue when you want to be able to type in data.

If you design your database such that it has popups and such and no need to ever type, you can use this just fine. But if you have any free form text fields (or note fields) or want to search or anything that requires a keyboard you'll have some problems.

Supposedly Socket is working on an alternative way to connect to their devices, and I am guessing it will involve a custom SDK for me to implement, but I don't believe that is available yet.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby vence » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:35 pm

The Socket CHS barcode has been updated with new features for Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod touch. For people connecting the scanner to their Apple device with a Bluetooth HID type connection (like a wireless keyboard), there is a new feature that lets you press a button to open or close the iOS keyboard. You can see a demo on this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/socketmobile#p/u/5/VhtttoC6ROs

Recently Socket also released an SDK for iOS that is Apple certified, this is for developers who want to add Socket scanner support to their iOS app with a Bluetooth SPP type connection. http://ww1.socketmobile.com/products/bl ... X2864-1336
vence

Postby Will_Smyth » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 am

Hi

Did you ever complete the work to make Handbase compatible with the Linea Pro Barcode Sled?

Thanks
Will_Smyth

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi

It is still in the works.
Sorry I cannot provide more info yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase for iPhone and iPod touch