Copying Database

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Copying Database

Postby zooguy1492 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:08 pm

I've got two databases which are linked together with a relationship field. Both databases have forms associated with them.

What is the best way to create an exact copy these two databases but with different names? When I do "Save As" in HanDBase Desktop, the forms don't seem to get copied.

Paul P.
zooguy1492
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Re: Copying Database

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:54 am

zooguy1492 wrote:I've got two databases which are linked together with a relationship field. Both databases have forms associated with them.

What is the best way to create an exact copy these two databases but with different names? When I do "Save As" in HanDBase Desktop, the forms don't seem to get copied.

Paul P.


I would recommend trying this:

Copy the database and forms you have to a new location.
Open the database
In the Desktop, go to the DB Properties and then General
Change the database name to the new name you'd like. When you save the screen settings, it will likely ask you if you'd like to rename the forms file as well.
Now use File Save As to give the file a different name if you'd like.

That should do the trick!
dhaupert
 
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Copying Database

Postby zooguy1492 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:26 am

dhaupert wrote:Copy the database and forms you have to a new location.


I assume you're saying keep the same file name and put the file in a subdirectory within the HanDBase sync directory?

Is there a problem if I copy the database and forms (in to same directory). Then rename the filenames. Then continue with renaming the "internal" database name as you describe?

Thanks,
Paul P.
zooguy1492
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Re: Copying Database

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am

zooguy1492 wrote:
dhaupert wrote:Copy the database and forms you have to a new location.


I assume you're saying keep the same file name and put the file in a subdirectory within the HanDBase sync directory?

Is there a problem if I copy the database and forms (in to same directory). Then rename the filenames. Then continue with renaming the "internal" database name as you describe?

Thanks,
Paul P.


Hi Paul,

The reason this may be a problem is that HanDBase does not really look at file names per se when opening files. It uses the internal database name (though for speed optimizations, starts with the most obvious file name, and then searches the rest of the files in the folder). So if you had a database named 'Hello' and there is a forms file named Hello_hdf.pdb, and if you then make a copy of the two and call the files Hello2 and Hello2_hdf, when you open the hello2 and rename the internal database name, it will still likely rename the internal name of Hello_hdf and not hello2_hdf.
dhaupert
 
Posts: 4111
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am


Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest