Native Code Support, at long last!

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Native Code Support, at long last!

Postby mvmiller12 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:49 am

Microsoft announced on 10/2/13 that they will now allow native code support (read: c/c++) on Windows Phone 8 devices using MS Visual Studio 2012 and compiler.

Windows Phone 8 supports Visual C++ 2012. This is the full version of C++ that is available on the desktop, and the two versions use the same compiler and IDE. This means that your phone app can reuse existing C and C++ libraries that you have developed for other platforms, in addition to third-party libraries and middleware.

The complete article from MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 7(v=vs.105).aspx

I have been waiting for this for a while, because I am very much looking forward to being able to use HanDBase again (I used it on my Dell Axim when I had it). HanDBase remains one of the best light-weight and customizable portable DB solutions I have ever used, and it would be awesome if I could get a WP8 version of it.

Thanks,
Michael V. Miller
mvmiller12

Re: Native Code Support, at long last!

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Michael,

That is indeed great news for both HanDBase users and the WP platform as a whole. I think it will help gain a lot of high performance graphic games and apps that need it.
It does also mean that HanDBase could now be ported to the platform. This clears one of the biggest hurdles we had, but it doesn't mean I can start development on it right now. Being a small company with a single developer (ie, me!), my development calendar is full and planned out for many months ahead with other projects (working on Android forms right now, Cloud sync support is coming afterwards, updates to the Mac Desktop, and HanDBase 5 development are all slated to follow).

That said I will keep my eye on this and follow how well it works, and whether the platform continues to grow in market share. Hopefully this means that some day we can develop a version for Windows Phone 8 and I will certainly let you know when that happens!

Thanks for sharing this great info.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional