Window Phone Series 7

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Window Phone Series 7

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 am

As far as you can tell at this early point, do you think Handbase will be compatable with Microsoft's recently announced WINDOWS PHONE SERIES 7?
Dlevymd1

Re: Window Phone Series 7

Postby dhaupert » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

Unfortunately while they showed of some very slick looking demos, they were very unspecific about development, compatibility and multi-tasking. Three areas of keen interest for existing users. Sounds like we won't know the answers until their MIX event next month. If I do find out, I'll update here.

For my hunch, I'm guessing they won't be compatible. But hoping they provide an easy migration path so that applications can be recompiled for the new OS without being rewritten.
But hopefully I'm wrong and they have backwards compatibility in there. I don't see that as likely since it's completely lacking menus or stylus support though.

Anxious to find out the answers as well!
dhaupert

Postby Dlevymd1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am

From what I'm reading in the Blog-o-sphere, Windows Phone 7 Series will have no backwards compatibility. That being the case, will DDH seek to develop a version for this new platform? Are you going to the developer conferences? I have a feeling that, with the integrated approach that Microsoft is taking with "Hubs", Windows Phone 7 Series is going to be a huge success!!! I am a Physician and a current Windows Mobile user. HandBase is "mission critical" software for my group!!! We can't use the iPhone or Blackberry because those platforms can not send .PDB files as email attachments. Any thoughts?
Dlevymd1

Postby dhaupert » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am

Waiting to hear from the Mix developer event this month what this all means for developers. So far, everything seems to be rumor and speculation with regards to development. But as of now, the rumor is that there is no backwards compatibility and that all development is done in Silverlight or .NET, neither of which we currently have a codebase. Unless we could compile the libraries we have for the platform, that would mean starting all over, and a few man-years of development. I'm hoping this does not prove to be the case, as there are so many new platforms and we can't possibly support them all if they all use different programming languages and paradigms.

So I'm waiting to hear the real scoop to learn and then decide for our plans for this platform. Will let you know!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 pm

As a followup today, a Microsoft blog officially verified that Windows Phone Series 7 will not be backwards compatible with existing Windows Mobile applications, and mentioned the new toolsets and programming languages supported. None of these include C or C++, so that means unless they are leaving out a surprise none of our code or that of 99% of the existing Windows Mobile developers will be portable to the new platform. Bad news for all of us folks. :(

I'm still hoping to hear the official final word before I say too much, but this doesn't sound good.
dhaupert

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 am

I need to visit more often. I also understand that we will not have access to the file structure and that bites something fierce. I am leaning more towards going with the Sprint EVO device when it comes out versus waiting for the next Windows 7 device. Looks like I will be back to carrying 2 devices around; 1 for general use and the Touch Pro 2 for HanDBase use. Wow. Happy Easter, David.

dhaupert wrote:As a followup today, a Microsoft blog officially verified that Windows Phone Series 7 will not be backwards compatible with existing Windows Mobile applications, and mentioned the new toolsets and programming languages supported. None of these include C or C++, so that means unless they are leaving out a surprise none of our code or that of 99% of the existing Windows Mobile developers will be portable to the new platform. Bad news for all of us folks. :(

I'm still hoping to hear the official final word before I say too much, but this doesn't sound good.
Ben

Postby dhaupert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

While the gadget sites are excited about the new makeover and clean start, have not heard from one customer who is planning on buying Windows Mobile 7. I think by forcing a clean slate, they gave permission to Windows Mobile users to jump ship and I'm seeing those sorts of posts more than anything!
dhaupert

Postby curtterp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:44 am

Part of the problem is that Microsoft is late to the party again. Mobile 7 does look good, well, it looks good in the simulator, but its hard to get excited over something that we cannot get our hands on yet. I have been looking through the videos from MIX10, and while the prototypes seem to work pretty well, there were a couple of problems, but that is to be expected since they haven't finalized the framework yet.

I think that Microsoft is trying to be more like Apple in trying to put a lot of control on manufacturing specs, but still giving hardware manufacturer's a wiggle room for design so all phones do not look the same. The OTA update is a nice feature that I have not seen on the Android platform.

One thing I haven't seen anywhere is the ability to make a phone call with my bluetooth headset. I was excited to upgrade early to get an Android phone, but there are too many people complaining about the lack of voice dialing with bluetooth. That is a deal breaker for me. I use my phone when I drive back and forth to work, and need the ability to dial by voice. With all the advancements in smartphones, one would think that the basic functionality of a cell phone would remain in the phone, but it seems like they are trying to pack so much into a smartphone, and they are forgetting that it is still a phone.

Oh well, I guess we will see down the road when they finalize the framework and get some hardware out for people to put their hands on it.
Have a good day

Curt
I am not a DDHSoftware employee, just a long time HanDBase user.... from Palm to Windows Mobile to Android, to iOS. Thanks to DDH, the database files transferred to each platform without a problem.
curtterp

Postby dhaupert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:22 am

I agree, regarding basic phone issues. I know I've seen a lot of people complain about various phones lacking voice dialing, a feature some people assume all phones will have at this point. It took 3 generations of iPhones to finally get it!

OTA updates are a great thing- the Pre has benefited from that setup for a while, and it basically makes the smartphone a disconnected device from the desktop finally. I wish all devices offered this.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional