Form not being attached & Previous record in Calculation

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Form not being attached & Previous record in Calculation

Postby gsman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 am

Hi All:
I have a database where I track the mileage on my 2 automobiles.
Question 1
I made 2 separate foms - on one database it attaches just fine - on another - the default (no form) comes up. Why does this form not attach? When I go to edit the form - I load the database - I see the form - I modify & save the form - yet not attached - in both desktop & handheld - Yes in Explorer I do see the form file on both desktop & device and yes it is named properly. What am I doing wrong.
Question 2
I use a calculated field for my mileage basically - (current mileage less previous mileage) divided by gallons
When sorted ascending by date it works fine
When sorted descending by date - I get zero
is there a way to get this to work sorted descending by date?
Thanks
Also how is Handbase performing on WinMobile 6.5?
gsman

Re: Form not being attached & Previous record in Calculation

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm

gsman wrote:Hi All:
I have a database where I track the mileage on my 2 automobiles.
Question 1
I made 2 separate foms - on one database it attaches just fine - on another - the default (no form) comes up. Why does this form not attach? When I go to edit the form - I load the database - I see the form - I modify & save the form - yet not attached - in both desktop & handheld - Yes in Explorer I do see the form file on both desktop & device and yes it is named properly. What am I doing wrong.

For every form, there is a checkbox for 'start form' on each type of device. You have to check this box on one of your forms (the one you'd like to show when you add a new record or edit an existing record (each separate checkboxes)). When one is checked, that form will show. If none are checked, the standard Edit Record screen will show.

Is that the issue here?

Question 2
I use a calculated field for my mileage basically - (current mileage less previous mileage) divided by gallons
When sorted ascending by date it works fine
When sorted descending by date - I get zero
is there a way to get this to work sorted descending by date?

The previous record when sorted backwards will have a mileage greater than the current, so the math won't work out. There is no 'next record' option for calculations as this is a very unlikely scenario. Sorry!

Also how is Handbase performing on WinMobile 6.5?

No problems to report, though there are some specific device level issues with some HTC devices (Touch HD2 in particular).
dhaupert

Postby gsman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Dave:
1. Ok - I have been make forms for a good number of years and never noticed that selection / option - Easy enough - thanks - it was that easy.
2. Is there any other trick / workaround / process / function to keep my records sorted descending and working out this math?
On another note - You may recognize me as the user that was looking for a database "Dial" field..... As I assume you know - Brian did release a version - and except for what I believe is a Samsung Epix issue - this has been working pretty dog gone great - kudos to Brian.
What I would like to see - and I did mention this to Brian - is if there is a way to launch his program from a button or what have you - within a form.
Any ideas?
gsman

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm

gsman wrote:2. Is there any other trick / workaround / process / function to keep my records sorted descending and working out this math?

Unfortunately not- calculations that use previous record calculations have to be sorted in the order such that this works out- sorry!

On another note - You may recognize me as the user that was looking for a database "Dial" field..... As I assume you know - Brian did release a version - and except for what I believe is a Samsung Epix issue - this has been working pretty dog gone great - kudos to Brian.
What I would like to see - and I did mention this to Brian - is if there is a way to launch his program from a button or what have you - within a form.
Any ideas?

I believe he mentioned in the topic on Parameter that he had that working but has a bug in his scripts and needs to address that before releasing an update. Stay tuned to that thread for the forthcoming update, but I have no idea when to expect that- Parameter is something Brian works on separately from DDH!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional