Quick Search

Discussion of HanDBase running on Windows Mobile Classic and Professional (formerly Pocket PC) devices and smartphones and syncing with a desktop computer.

Quick Search

Postby gsman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:29 pm

My Quick Search is erratic. Sometimes it will work other times not.... I usually use this in conjunction when I use a DB Popup field. When I go to the Parent database and start entering the client I am looking to insert into my child db - it will flash to the initial letter I type and then back to the beginning of the parent database. If I continue to type nothing happens - If I backspace a number of times - again it will flash to the first letter and then right back to the beginning. What I can't seem to determine is what my difference is when it works and when it doesn't. I'd have to guess it works 75% of the time... If it doesn't work - I have to scroll through 900 records to get were I want.... Are you aware of this issue. Is there something I should check?
gsman

Re: Quick Search

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:42 am

The way the quick search works is that as you type, we're searching for the word being formed. So if you type a letter and there is no match for that word, the program will delete that letter. Let me give an example:

Say your database has the following names:

Adam
Dave
Edward
Joe
Joeseph
John
Steve

You are trying to search for Johnathan, so you start typing. First, the letter J, which should take the highlighted record to the word Joe. Then you type an o, which will keep it at the word Joe. The next letter is h, that jumps it to the word John. The n, keeps it there. But now you type the letter a. As there is no match for Johna.. the a is deleted automatically from the search, and the word John stays highlighted. If you continued to type the t, it too would be deleted, as well as any other letter. At the point of ending the word Johnathan, the quick search would still be highlighted on John, and only the word John would be stored in the search field. If you then delete a character, you'd have Joh which would stay on John, delete again and now you'd have Jo, which would likely go back to Joe, another backspace, you'd have J which would stay at Joe. And lastly the final delete would clear the quick search field and return to the top of the list.

Is this what you are seeing? If not, could you please describe in more detail?
dhaupert

Postby gsman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi Dave:
I am quite aware of how the quick search should behave (I am not trying to be sarcastic)
Here is what I see - and again - sometimes it works just fine.
Lets say, for example, I am looking for quick search field "customer" - whose name is Ryan
in my table view
I type an R
- I will see the database flash to the first customer that begins with "R"
- and then right back to the beginning of the database (the "A"'s)
If I continue to type "Y" nothing happens at all, if I continue further with "A" still nothing...
I will then backspace back 3 characters or more - re-type the first letter "R" - it will flash very quickly to the "R"'s again - but settle right back to the "A"'s again....
It will not drill down at all.
I repeat repeat sometimes it works just fine...
BTW How is Brian doing with the "Dial" field
Thanks
Gary
gsman

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 am

gsman wrote:Hi Dave:
I am quite aware of how the quick search should behave (I am not trying to be sarcastic)
Lets say, for example, I am looking for quick search field "customer" - whose name is Ryan
in my table view
I type an R
If I continue to type "Y" nothing happens at all, if I continue further with "A" still nothing...
I will then backspace back 3 characters or more - re-type the first letter "R" - it will flash very quickly to the "R"'s again - but settle right back to the "A"'s again....
Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary,

Trying to wrap up the update to this version this week and this one was on my list to check. Unfortunately I'm not seeing what you described. I'm wondering if perhaps you have an example database you can send me?
dhaupert

Postby jgfoley » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 am

gsman wrote:Hi Dave:
in my table view
I type an R
Thanks
Gary

Hi David, I get the exact same results as Gary. It drives me nuts. I found that in some cases, if I backspace one space, it brings up the proper results...can't figure out why, but sometimes this doesn't work either so I have to resort to the "Find" function.

Gary, have you found any other work arounds this issue that maybe helpful to me?
Thanks,
Jim
jgfoley

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Jim,

Do you have any repeatable cases of this happening in your database? Is so, perhaps you could send me a copy of the database so I can try and potentially debug your issue?
dhaupert

Postby gsman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 pm

I still have no work arounds to this... this is a vexing issue... and still regularly occurs in all of my 7 databases.
try as I do - I can see no rhyme or reason to this issue - and never know when this will happen... but it still happens
gsman

Postby dhaupert » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm

Unfortunately I'm not seeing this on my end. I do realize that has no bearing on whether the bug exists on your end! But if I can't duplicate the problem, I can't readily debug or fix it. That said, there are several issues on the WM side that are device related. Things that happen on or more types of devices but not others. And maybe with those clues in hand, I may be able to find out something about this problem. So I'm wondering if anyone is seeing this, if they can tell me:

1. What device they are using?
2. What WM OS version is running on it?
3. What other applications are installed?

Thanks in advance!
dhaupert

Postby jgfoley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi David,
It's been awhile and this bug still exist (at least for me).
I use a Palm Treo Pro (GSM Unlocked) with WM 6.1
HanDBase 4.1.5

I've even gave my unit a hard reset and only had the basic software and HanDBase loaded, no other 3rd party software and I got the same results. I don't think it has anything to do with other software. After I reloaded all my 3rd party software; same results.

As mentioned earlier in this post, it sometimes works, sometimes not. It is not consistant at all.

Have you been able to reproduce this at all?

Thanks,
Jim F.
jgfoley

Postby dhaupert » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Jim,

I never was, and since the topic here 'grew cold', I have not done much with it. No one else has reported it since either. If you have any database that you can get it to happen even 50% of the time, I can try on a few devices here and see if the same thing occurs!
dhaupert

Next

Return to HanDBase for Windows Mobile Classic and Professional