HanDBase Related News Update!

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Re: HanDBase Related News Update!

Postby Avi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I think I've said this before, but from what you've written, I think it bears repeating:

HanDBase has in its DNA business and corporate users, mostly because of the ability to synchronize multiple users to the same database on a per-record level, and the ability to have databases call each other. Trying to sell it primarily to entertainment-focused users through app stores for a buck or three is doomed to failure, because the vast majority of smartphone users don't want or even understand its utility.

If you offered packages to companies with large numbers of roving, field-based employees, including developing and maintaining their custom databases and the Forms front-end for data entry, I bet you could make a great income from it. Hospitals come to mind. Service organisations, roving sales forces, warehouse staff. Organizations that can't justify having full-time IT people developing custom databases for staff using smart phones as their consoles, but who could benefit mightily from the efficiency HanDbase can give. I'm sure you can figure out how to charge for such a service, and it isn't a few bucks per device. Subscriptions might make a lot of sense here.

HanDbase is too good a platform to let it fade into oblivion.

-avi
Avi

Postby Jay » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Dave,

I too am a long time user of Handbase going back to the Palm days. I work in medical research and I've used this program primarily to track some things at work like mouse breeding colonies and cell lines,etc, as well as a few personal databases.

I agree completely with what everyone else has been saying about this product, after all of these years (and even in light of few updates the past couple of them), there really isn't anything else I've come across that can do what HanDbase does as well as it does.

With that said, sadly, it has started to feel a bit like orphaned software at times. That's why I was happy to see this thread and that things were still being worked on. For me personally, the one thing I've longed for, for quite some time is the cloud sync capability. It would allow me to share some of my work databases with colleagues who have asked about them. We cannot use the Dropbox method as too many changes being overwritten would potentially be devastating. I personally think that this feature alone would extend the usability of this app for many, many more years to come and reinvigorate interest in the app.

My two cents as far as finding methods to continue to support HandBase, I do believe that subscriptions may be the best route but you may need to have several options available.

For example:
-Have a Handbase Viewer (or lite) version which is only a database viewer allowing those who may not want to create their own databases to use those created by others. Especially in light of the extensive collection of databases you already have that could be downloaded. Free with ads or $1.99/year to remove ads.
-Have an upgraded version which would allow for the basic generation of custom databases which would have all of the fields except signature, link/linked, DB popup, calculated, relationship, and conditional. This would be Handbase Basic: $4.99/year
- Handbase pro which is Handbase Basic + the previously mentioned excluded fields: $9.99/year
- Form builder which would work with either Handbase Basic or Handbase Pro: $4.99/year

These could also all be in app upgrades in iOS making it easier to distribute as one program and just unlock certain features with the paid upgrades.

These are just suggestions and examples but it would allow a tiered approach where people could try and keep what ever features they need and even if they decided not to renew the upper level versions, they can always use the viewer/lite version to run any databases they've created or downloaded previously and later on upgrade again if they change their minds. The added bonus would be that revenue is continuing to be generated through ads or subscriptions to remove ads even if someone downgrades.

I think this may be the one app that I've had on every mobile device I've ever owned and I truly would be sad to see it go.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,

Jay
Jay

Postby ddhsoftwareadmin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi Jay,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. It's funny how close your idea is to what I've been implementing the last few months! I don't have as many tiers as I've learned through the past 2 decades that too many options creates too much confusion, but the idea of a free limited version with ads is in the cards as well as a subscription to get rid of them and unlock additional features. It may wind up breathing new life into HanDBase- we'll see! It may also eliminate a portion of the income that I currently make, and that's a possibility I am prepared for at this point.

With regards to a cloud sync, how I wish I had one implemented by now- it's amazing when I think to how long ago I was offering a server sync feature - this was before smartphones and it was an enterprise level feature, not one for the masses. I could and should have been blazing this trail, not being 5 years behind the curve! I definitely dropped the ball on that one...

Here's hoping that the free and subscription version help provide the path for the second part- the cloud sync feature to make its way into reality!

Thanks again for your long time support and thoughtfulness.
ddhsoftwareadmin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to HanDBase General Discussion