help setting up a "lookup database"

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

help setting up a "lookup database"

Postby Shepherd Jim » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:36 am

I'm creating a "Grain Order" database. The records in the db will include fields:

Order Date (date)
grain type (??? a "lookup" pulling "Grain Name" from a separate "Grain" database)
number of bags ordered (integer)
number of bags received (integer)
notes (note)

A "grain order" will consist a number of records all with the same order date. I want to be able to create a new record, choose an order date (probably usualy be "tomorrow") and then pick a "grain type" (e.g. "Sweet Mix 16", "Whole Corn", "Swine Grower Pellets") fro a lookup database. I know I could just have "popups" for the grain type field in the Grain Order database, but I want to have a full Grain database available that I can keep up to date; info about the various grain mixes, etc.

When I look at an individual order, I will filter for the order date I'm wanting to look at.

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: help setting up a "lookup database"

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:41 am

Hi,

That 'lookup' field type is called a DB Popup field within HanDBase. Please see the tutorials for setting up a DB Popup field, such as this one:

http://www.ddhsoftware.com/knowledgebase.html?read=253

To best learn how to create a DB Popup field. Once you have the understanding of the field type, it should be very easy to implement in your design. Let me know if you have any further questions!
dhaupert

Re: help setting up a "lookup database"

Postby Shepherd Jim » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello Dave!

Thanks for RE-refreshing my mind 8-) . I obviously have to print out the most recent pdf "manual" pages and take it all to bed with me for an intensive review.

I know I used the DB Popup field in several database setups YEARS ago but had "lost" it. I had a lot of "down time" today and spent every free minute converting fields in existing databases to "DB Lookup" -- easily making connections between databases where I've been copying and pasting.

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Return to HanDBase General Discussion