Options for Synching iPhone on server?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Options for Synching iPhone on server?

Postby ChuckC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:11 pm

I've been through most of your documentation, well a LOT and I haven't found this answer yet:

Our work WiFi network is basically firewalled/secured - I don't know a lot more than that about our WiFi. I know I can VPN in and then remote desktop into my desktop computer. I would like to sync from the iPhone to an Access dB out on one of our network servers. As a second option, it would be OK to sync just to my desktop computer (running Win XP).

What do I need to know to find out if it's possible? Are there other methods besides WiFi to sync my iPhone like a direct connection, which is OK?

We are considering purchasing this as a pretty big solution and I'm feeling out the capabilities to see if it fits our needs; field collection of loads of data, then synch'ing and processing the data off the desktop via Access or another ODBC database.

ChuckC
ChuckC

Re: Options for Synching iPhone on server?

Postby dhaupert » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your question. There aren't really any options outside of a wifi connection for us at this point. Later on this year I hope to have an offering that would work through the internet instead of through the web. This is technically possible, but we don't have a product offering that accomplishes this just yet. I wish I had something to offer you for this- a lot of customers looking for this suddenly this year!

If you do want to sync and avoid the wifi routers issue, you can use Ad-hoc wifi, which is basically when your desktop/laptop connects directly to the iPhone via wifi and not through a router as is standard. There are steps outlined in the documentation to show you how to set this up, and I know this is what many corporate users have to do to sync to their computers due to locked down wifi networks at the office.

Let me know if you need any help in setting that up!
dhaupert

Postby RiverCitySailing » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:10 pm

This thread seems to have died in 2011 & admittedly I may just be on the wrong thread, but I can't believe that no one is clamoring for web synching. It seems that the potential would be there to synch data files through Dropbox or one of the other similar applications. The current synching method is cumbersome and precludes all of our sales staff from seamlessly sharing data, which was my hope when I started exploring Handbase. Is there any hope of web synching in the foreseeable future. I love the platform for personal use, but if the synching method doesn't have better options, then it is not really practical for use with our sales team...
RiverCitySailing

Postby dhaupert » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:56 am

Hi there,

Thanks for chiming in on this old thread. A lot of users of HanDBase, particularly those that are using it for business purposes, have a distrust of the cloud, and this has pre-dated the most recent security scandal that involved celebrities . Early this year I started on a cloud sync solution (using DropBox coincidentally) but I had to postpone it due to some other projects I needed to take on for clients. I do plan on releasing this when I can get it all finished and ready. But the reason you don't see a lot of users clamoring for it on the forums is likely due to that aversion to storing their important data in the cloud. In some cases, specifically medical use, it's not even an option due to privacy regulations.
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion