Discussion: Exchanging info "BIG" database to HanDBase

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Discussion: Exchanging info "BIG" database to HanDBase

Postby Shepherd Jim » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 am

I'm hoping some of the more established HanDBase users will want to discuss how they've set up their systems to share/move information back and forth from their PCs (and/or MACs) to HanDBase (HDB) on their phones/PDAs. Over the years I have tried, with varying degrees of success and ease, a number of approaches: JUST synching the HanDBase Desktop to HDB on a PDA, exporting and importing MS Excel files to/from HDB, exporting/importing dBase format tables from a PC-based relational database and even using the special, purpose-built conduit for MS Access files.

As mentioned above, there is already a "good" solution for synchronizing a full blown relational MS Access database running on PCs with HanDBase running on "mobile devices." If there's enough interest, I suggest that a separate discussion should be created for people who want to talk about using HDB with the MS Access "conduit."

What I'd like to see here is people explaining how they're exchanging data back and forth without MS Access: what software's in use, how the data is structured, etc etc

Truth be told, I HATE MS Access, the only stuff that I've ever discovered that's less intuitive and user-friendly than the Access software itself is the support documentation created by Microsoft to "help" people learn to use Access.

I do use MS Excel and, as I mentioned above, I have sometimes kept data in spreadsheets which I then exported onto a Palm Pilot or whatever so's to have the information available out in the shop or field (I'm a woodturner/shepherd). I was always very hesitant about importing data BACK into the spreadsheets -- one worry was always that the incoming "plain text" .csv data coming in would UNformat what was in Excel.

I'm currently setting up several relational, multi-table databases with a program called Alpha Five. Alpha Five is similar to MS Access in its scope and makeup but uses "plain" dBase format tables at its heart.

As an example of one of the challenges I'm facing currently:

I have a plant relational DB plant inventory on the PC in Alpha Five. Using my Palm Centro smartphone, I'd love to be able to create "watering records" -- recording which plants have been watered today. I would then want to "move/copy" those records to the "watering" table (e.g. fields: PlantNum, WaterDate, Fertilizer, etc) back on the computer.

I haven't asked any specific questions -- just hoping a few people will jump in and "talk". If there's enough interest maybe Dave will give us our own "sub heading" in the "General" folder.

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Discussion: Exchanging info "BIG" database to HanDBase

Postby jdixon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm

:geek:

I have a backend database using mySQL that I sync with. There is also a front end webserver running code that I put together with software from Xlinesoft.

You are correct in that there should be a forum built around this model. I have almost never seen a comment in the old forum involving SQL.

JD
jdixon

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Question: What's wrong with this thread for the discussion? I am trying to keep the number of subcategories down to the core products we have and use threads like this to discuss various topics. I am a member on a forum where they have far too many subcategories and it takes far too long to navigate the list. I will definitely add some more subcategories when i see one consuming too much of any particular category, but for now, let's just stick with this thread and see where the interest lies!
dhaupert

Postby Shepherd Jim » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:38 am

Hey JD -- I should probably learn a bit about mySQL. I've started using WordPress as our website/blog engine and, as I understand it, all the WP data is stuffed away in a mySQL database up on my shared GoDaddy server space.

Hello Dave -- I know you're right. I too frequent forums with way too many "categories." The result seems to be that you wind up frequenting only a few threads while "missing" a lot going on in other areas because it takes too much time to back out of where you're at and then drill back in.

Your reluctance to set up a subcategory would especially seem to be justified by the fact that in a week and a half only JD "came in" to contribute.

Have a good weekend! The sun's finally out in Maine!

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Return to HanDBase General Discussion