Using External Fields/Plugins on desktop

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Using External Fields/Plugins on desktop

Postby Shepherd Jim » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:28 am

Windows XP / Palm Centro / HDB ver 4.1.0 on both

I use the Plugin "TextFormat" to concatenate two text fields into a single text field (PrefTag + (space) + SuffTag = EarTag) in one of my databases.

Working in the HanDBase Desktop, when I enter a new record, I fill in text values for PrefTag and SuffTag, but the text field EarTag remains unfilled/empty. When I attempt to configure the external field that's supposed to fill the field EarTag an error window pops up advising that the TextFormat plugin is not present/installed.

All goes smoothly when I enter new records on the handheld.

Question: where/how should the plugin be placed in the PC's file structure in order to work properly.
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Using External Fields/Plugins on desktop

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Shepherd Jim wrote:Question: where/how should the plugin be placed in the PC's file structure in order to work properly.

Jim,

Good question- a plugin is written in native code for whatever platform it was designed. It's actually a custom program so to speak and so the TextFormat plugin you have for your handheld would need to be available for the Desktop for this to work. I don't know for sure, but don't believe that the plugins from Unplugged Ideas are available for Windows, I think they are Palm OS or Windows Mobile only.

If there is a Windows plugin available, it needs to reside in the same location as your HanDBase Desktop, which is typically:
c:\program files\handbase4

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion