Please make a WebOS version of HandBase!

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Postby rc46 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:33 am

Greetings,

After reading this months Newsletter I was kind of disappointed that DDH is still on the fence about making a WebOS version of HandBase. I thought for sure you guys would be one of the first to jump on board. I have been using HandBase for years on Palm OS and Windows Mobile and I am thankful that it runs under Classic but would much prefer a WebOS version.

Lets face it, WebOS is going to be huge! I really think you could sell 10's of thousands of license if you did develop a WebOS version. It would be really simple to do and you would not even need to have a sync conduit. All you need to do is store the .pdb files in the USB Mass Storage area of the Pre then when you connect it to the PC the desktop version would just open the actual file on the Pre. Thats pretty much they way I have things working now under Classic.

In summary

TIA,
rc46

Re: Please make a WebOS version of HandBase!

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 pm

rc46 wrote:Greetings,

After reading this months Newsletter I was kind of disappointed that DDH is still on the fence about making a WebOS version of HandBase. I thought for sure you guys would be one of the first to jump on board. I have been using HandBase for years on Palm OS and Windows Mobile and I am thankful that it runs under Classic but would much prefer a WebOS version.

Lets face it, WebOS is going to be huge! I really think you could sell 10's of thousands of license if you did develop a WebOS version. It would be really simple to do and you would not even need to have a sync conduit. All you need to do is store the .pdb files in the USB Mass Storage area of the Pre then when you connect it to the PC the desktop version would just open the actual file on the Pre. Thats pretty much they way I have things working now under Classic.

In summary

TIA,

I hope WebOS is huge, but developing an application like HanDBase on it is unfortunately not easy in any stretch of the word. HanDBase for Palm OS was our first version and was written in the C programming language. When implementing the first desktop program, we wrote C and C++ libraries for reading and writing the database to a PDB file and many of the common functionality of the program, minus the user interface. This library is used in all our other versions of HanDBase other than the BlackBerry version (which does not support C/C++ languages, only Java). Over the years, as HanDBase gained functionality such as relational capabilities, encryption, advanced calculations, etc, all of these core functions were implemented in the library. It's been 11 years of constant development!

Now on the Web OS, we cannot use any of these libraries. Everything has to be rewritten from scratch, using an interpreted language called Javascript. Certain functionality such as our encryption simply can't be done using Javascript- we use open C libraries for doing so, so this feature would have to be omitted entirely. The thing is that recreating 11 years of code in an all new programming language is not trivial- it's in the order of Man-years of development time, all to deliver something that already runs fine in Classic right now.

This is why we hesitate to even begin development on this platform. I hope you understand our thinking on this! That said, we're open to the idea of a Web OS version in some form or another if the Pre does become popular. It has sold very well in the first month and when it expands to other carriers, I'd expect it to do even better. I am still a fan of Palm- I have made a successful living as a result of writing Palm applications originally, so I am rooting for them! So we'll see!
dhaupert

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm interested in running handbase on the pre via the classic app. I understand of course there is no ir beaming nor hotsync.

However, the two functions I would absolutely require are:

1. Export of data (to memopad or similar file that could then be emailed)
2. Bluetooth beaming of individual database to another handbase program on palm os device (or pre via classic handbase)

If anyone has used handbase via classic, any input would be appreciated, thanks.
JimN

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 am

JimN wrote:I'm interested in running handbase on the pre via the classic app. I understand of course there is no ir beaming nor hotsync.

2. Bluetooth beaming of individual database to another handbase program on palm os device (or pre via classic handbase)

If anyone has used handbase via classic, any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Export to memo pad does indeed work. The problem is in the connection of the memo pad to email to the Pre email client. The Pre and Classic are completely separate in that sense. I'm not sure if copy and paste would work- we do have a Copy Record to Clipboard email which uses the same format as our export but puts it right in the clipboard, so in theory you can paste into the Pre's email client. But that is something I'm not sure of- I don't have a Pre to test with at this time. Hopefully someone else could chime in.

As I understand Bluetooth under Classic is not an option either. I would have to verify that as well.
dhaupert

Postby rc46 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:47 am

JimN wrote:I'm interested in running handbase on the pre via the classic app. I understand of course there is no ir beaming nor hotsync.

I currently run Handbase under classic. It works real well.

What I do is store my Handbase databases on the Classic "Virtual SD Card". That way when I connect my Pre to my desktop as a USB Mass Storage device I can see all of my Handbase databases. I can then back them up. I can open them using the Handbase desktop software. I can edit them using the Handbase desktop software. I can also export the databases or individual records. It is almost a prefect solution except that I have to run Classic (which is not 100% stable) to run Handbase.
rc46

Postby JimN » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't even considered using the handbase desktop - that sounds like a reasonable compromise, although it would have been nice to do it all from the device. The copy and paste sounds promising too.

Jim
JimN

Postby JimN » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm

This is an update to my previous post. Since it came out on verizon, i went ahead and got the palm pre plus. The setup on the "Classic" app went smoothly. Thanks to rc46 I was able to put my databases on the device. It's taking some getting used to using touch screen instead of stylus as the hand base buttons require the fine control you get from using a stylus instead of fingers. If a web os version of handbase is not made, perhaps there can be an update to the palm os version to take into this into account.

Another issue is: I had used the forms designer to make my data entry much more user friendly. This seems to have been lost in the install process to classic, and now it is a simple list that is much more difficult to navigate. dhaupert, Is there a way to get the forms data onto classic along with my database?

The biggest issue which I aluded to earlier unfortunately still remains. While the export to memo pad works as usual, the email memo function from the pull down menu is gone. It also does not seem possible to cut/copy paste text from a classic app to a Web OS app, so I relegated to physically connecting to a pc and then emailing the data from the pc.

Any other thoughts again would be appreciated.

Thanks. Jim
JimN

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 pm

JimN wrote:This is an update to my previous post. Since it came out on verizon, i went ahead and got the palm pre plus. The setup on the "Classic" app went smoothly. Thanks to rc46 I was able to put my databases on the device. It's taking some getting used to using touch screen instead of stylus as the hand base buttons require the fine control you get from using a stylus instead of fingers. If a web os version of handbase is not made, perhaps there can be an update to the palm os version to take into this into account.

Are there any buttons in particular? I know the list view ones were designed for fingers way back before the finger navigation became en vogue!

Another issue is: I had used the forms designer to make my data entry much more user friendly. This seems to have been lost in the install process to classic, and now it is a simple list that is much more difficult to navigate. dhaupert, Is there a way to get the forms data onto classic along with my database?

Sure, they work fine, but just need to be installed. They should be stored on your PC in the folder:
[palm desktop installation]\username\backup

where palm desktop installation is where your palm desktop software is installed and username is a form of your old palm's user name, usually abbreviated somehow.

Once you locate the folder, you should see databasename_HDF.PDB files there where databasename is the name of the database. Now that you have found them, copy them to the internal memory folder for the Pre, not the virtual one as forms have to be stored in 'main memory' on Palm OS. They should now start showing up fine!

The biggest issue which I aluded to earlier unfortunately still remains. While the export to memo pad works as usual, the email memo function from the pull down menu is gone. It also does not seem possible to cut/copy paste text from a classic app to a Web OS app, so I relegated to physically connecting to a pc and then emailing the data from the pc.

I am not sure if there is a way around this, though I'll try to find out more about Classic's plans..

Any other thoughts again would be appreciated.

Thanks. Jim[/quote]
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion