Former SmartLists User

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Former SmartLists User

Postby fblittle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:46 am

I was using SmartLists ToGo on my Sony Clie but it started crashing and loosing Data after about 5 years. :shock: I finally went to the iPhone knowing that HanDBase was available for it. :D I just got my iPhone at the beginning of June so I am still changing everything and ironing out all the problems with the change.

I am using the same Access database to sync my data with. I think that SmartLists uses a similar way to sync records. Some of my tables that I have synced to will not update current information. I made the mistake of importing the data to my iPhone and then syncing, so I had to go back and delete all the records on my iPhone, and the sync fields, and let the conduit add the records. It did sync them properly, but now won't add or change new data in certain tables of Access.

:?: My question is about the sync fields(rhdrinfo_, rhdrid_ ) and replication fields in Access. I think the replication fields are interfering with the synchronization of HanDBase?
What should I do with these fields ( s_ColLineage, s_Generation, s_GUID, s_Lineage )? Should I delete them? If I do I can not use replicated Tables in my Access database. Also some Tables don't show the "rhdrid_" field until in the design mode I can see it, but it is after the replication fields so it is hidden until it is moved before the replication fields.

Does anyone have answers to my questions?

Fred
fblittle

Re: Former SmartLists User

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm

fblittle wrote:I was using SmartLists ToGo on my Sony Clie but it started crashing and loosing Data after about 5 years. :shock: I finally went to the iPhone knowing that HanDBase was available for it. :D I just got my iPhone at the beginning of June so I am still changing everything and ironing out all the problems with the change.

I am using the same Access database to sync my data with. I think that SmartLists uses a similar way to sync records. Some of my tables that I have synced to will not update current information. I made the mistake of importing the data to my iPhone and then syncing, so I had to go back and delete all the records on my iPhone, and the sync fields, and let the conduit add the records. It did sync them properly, but now won't add or change new data in certain tables of Access.

:?: My question is about the sync fields(rhdrinfo_, rhdrid_ ) and replication fields in Access. I think the replication fields are interfering with the synchronization of HanDBase?
What should I do with these fields ( s_ColLineage, s_Generation, s_GUID, s_Lineage )? Should I delete them? If I do I can not use replicated Tables in my Access database. Also some Tables don't show the "rhdrid_" field until in the design mode I can see it, but it is after the replication fields so it is hidden until it is moved before the replication fields.

Does anyone have answers to my questions?

Fred

Is there any consistency between the tables that are syncing properly and the ones that aren't? For example are the ones that aren't syncing ones that have the rhdrinfo_ and rhdrid_ fields after the s_ fields?

Do you know if you are actually using replication? Because replication is possible programmatically I'm thinking it's possible that SmartListToGo's Access sync used replication. If that's the case then you wouldn't need the s_ fields any longer.

If you are using replication, is your copy the master or a replica?

Is it possible you have permissions set on your database that require a certain username to be able to add or edit records in the tables? I believe with older versions of Access you could even set these at a Table level so it could be that the default user doesn't have permission to modify those tables.

What version of MS Access are you using? Is your database file an MDB file or ACCDB file? In the Sync settings for Sync Exchange on these tables did you leave them at the default settings, to Synchronize the data?

This article on Microsoft's website talks about changing the design of a database when it's being replicated. So if you are definitely using replication for your own needs you may need to read though this and follow the steps because the design of the database is definitely getting changed by HanDBase Sync Exchange.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/acces ... 51033.aspx

As a test, what you might try doing is to make a copy of the Access database and for the tables not properly syncing remove the s_ fields and then set up your HanDBase database to sync with the tables in that copy and see if there is any difference without those fields.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Postby fblittle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 am

Fred

Is there any consistency between the tables that are syncing properly and the ones that aren't? For example are the ones that aren't syncing ones that have the rhdrinfo_ and rhdrid_ fields after the s_ fields?

Do you know if you are actually using replication? Because replication is possible programmatically I'm thinking it's possible that SmartListToGo's Access sync used replication. If that's the case then you wouldn't need the s_ fields any longer.

If you are using replication, is your copy the master or a replica?

Is it possible you have permissions set on your database that require a certain username to be able to add or edit records in the tables? I believe with older versions of Access you could even set these at a Table level so it could be that the default user doesn't have permission to modify those tables.

What version of MS Access are you using? Is your database file an MDB file or ACCDB file? In the Sync settings for Sync Exchange on these tables did you leave them at the default settings, to Synchronize the data?

This article on Microsoft's website talks about changing the design of a database when it's being replicated. So if you are definitely using replication for your own needs you may need to read though this and follow the steps because the design of the database is definitely getting changed by HanDBase Sync Exchange.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/acces ... 51033.aspx

As a test, what you might try doing is to make a copy of the Access database and for the tables not properly syncing remove the s_ fields and then set up your HanDBase database to sync with the tables in that copy and see if there is any difference without those fields.

I hope this helps.

I am using the replication in Access 2003 (MDB file). Although it is not really necessary for me. My Database is the Master, and I use the replica to backup my database in different locations in case I lose my data or the database becomes corrupted.

I just deleted the replication fields with a "MakeTable Query" and renamed the tables so that the new table is the same name as the original.

I had to delete my sync mapping and add each type of field one at a time until I found the fields that were causing my database to reject records. It turned out to be the "calculated" fields where I calculated time and sent it to a time/date field in access.

I still can not get those fields to synchronize. What is the correct way to get the data types in both fields to agree? I am calculating the difference of two time fields to come up with a time total. It works on the iPhone, but access won't accept them. I set the "result format" of the calculated time fields to be time.

Another question. Is there a log of the synchronization so that I can tell why records were rejected by access?
fblittle

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm

fblittle wrote:Fred

I am using the replication in Access 2003 (MDB file). Although it is not really necessary for me. My Database is the Master, and I use the replica to backup my database in different locations in case I lose my data or the database becomes corrupted.

I just deleted the replication fields with a "MakeTable Query" and renamed the tables so that the new table is the same name as the original.

I had to delete my sync mapping and add each type of field one at a time until I found the fields that were causing my database to reject records. It turned out to be the "calculated" fields where I calculated time and sent it to a time/date field in access.

I still can not get those fields to synchronize. What is the correct way to get the data types in both fields to agree? I am calculating the difference of two time fields to come up with a time total. It works on the iPhone, but access won't accept them. I set the "result format" of the calculated time fields to be time.

Another question. Is there a log of the synchronization so that I can tell why records were rejected by access?

I'm glad you were able to get that to work with the Replication fields removed. I wonder though if you have similar issues, like the Calculated Time field, that are actually causing the issue. Meaning, it wasn't the replication fields causing the problem.

As far as the calculated field issue, more than likely, from my experience, it has to do with the format of the Date/Time field in Access. If you've left it as the Default it may be getting hung up because there is no Date portion of the value. You will want to go into the properties for that field in Access and specifically set the format of the field to be just the time portion. That should correct that issue.

As far as logging, when you synchronize using the HanDBase Conduit the conduit window, that has the Synchronize button, also has a View Log button. You can click on that and you should be able to see some basic messages about what might have gone wrong with the sync to Access. Access will report back a basic Error if the sync fails and that should be showing in that log. However it is fairly basic and might not give details about the specific reason it could not merge. In that case you'd have to go into the ODBC Data Source Administrator, through the Control Panel in the Administrative Tools section, and go to the Tracing Tab. Then enable Tracing but clicking the Start Tracing Now button. Make sure you change the "Log File Path" to somewhere you'll be able to find that file. Then when you synchronize a more detailed log will be created where you can see what the exact error might be. Make sure you disable Tracing when you are done so that file does not continue to get larger.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase General Discussion