Use field from previous record?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Use field from previous record?

Postby Doug_H » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:35 am

Hi. I'm new to HandBase, coming from SmartList2Go because I needed more fields and more importantly a Windows interface that works the same as the handheld (Palm)
When entering data in a new record, I often want to say - "use (copy) the same field (text) from the previous record" - particularly where this has been formed using a popup with multiple appends; yes, I can select all of them again, but this can be lengthy and I'd like to find a quicker and surer way.

Any thoughts anyone?
Thank you
Doug
Doug_H

Re: Use field from previous record?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 am

Doug_H wrote:Hi. I'm new to HandBase, coming from SmartList2Go because I needed more fields and more importantly a Windows interface that works the same as the handheld (Palm)
When entering data in a new record, I often want to say - "use (copy) the same field (text) from the previous record" - particularly where this has been formed using a popup with multiple appends; yes, I can select all of them again, but this can be lengthy and I'd like to find a quicker and surer way.

Any thoughts anyone?
Thank you
Doug

Welcome Doug,

Hope you like the HanDBase product! Indeed if you're using a text or note field with popups defined, you can set the default value to be from the previous record. In the Field Properties there is a button to edit the Default Value. There you can check off the option to take the previous record's value as the default for a new record.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Use field from previous record?

Postby Doug_H » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 am

Thank you!
I thought I had hunted all over, but obviously not hard enough!
Doug
Doug_H

Return to HanDBase General Discussion