Please expand on extras afforded by HDB Enterprise

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Please expand on extras afforded by HDB Enterprise

Postby Shepherd Jim » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:22 am

Over the years I bet I've read the DDH website descriptions of the different "flavors" of HDB that are available. I've recently discovered that I was not completely UNDERSTANDING all the information contained in those descriptions.

I'm hoping someone will take a few minutes to not just list the "advantages" (additional capabilities?) of Enterprise over Professional but to discuss WHY some differences might be important, to whom they might be of interest and how they might be implemented.

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Re: Please expand on extras afforded by HDB Enterprise

Postby dhaupert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:19 am

Shepherd Jim wrote:Over the years I bet I've read the DDH website descriptions of the different "flavors" of HDB that are available. I've recently discovered that I was not completely UNDERSTANDING all the information contained in those descriptions.

I'm hoping someone will take a few minutes to not just list the "advantages" (additional capabilities?) of Enterprise over Professional but to discuss WHY some differences might be important, to whom they might be of interest and how they might be implemented.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's a great question, and sorry if the web site has too many lists and not enough explanations! There are only a few reasons why someone would choose HanDBase Enterprise over Professional:

- If you want to synchronize or convert your database to something besides Microsoft Access. The professional version offers syncing to Microsoft Access only. The Enterprise version adds HanDBase Sync Exchange for ODBC, which can sync to:

Filemaker Pro, Alpha5, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Sybase, etc

It also includes Data Exchange for ODBC, which is basically the same as Sync Exchange except it's something you call up to do a one time conversion, not a two way sync. So if you have a database in one format (eg, Filemaker Pro) and want to convert it to use in HanDBase but are not interested in a two way sync, Data Exchange is the program you'd launch.

- If you are using another database program or reports program such as Access or Crystal Reports, and would like to access your HanDBase Databases directly- without syncing or converting. The ODBC Driver is included with the Enterprise version. This makes it possible for other programs to access HanDBase databases just like we access those programs through the Sync Exchange program. For example, I have spoken with Customers who wrote reports in Crystal Reports, a very high end tool to make some fancy reports based on data. They could have used HanDBase Data Exchange to convert HanDBase into some other format that Crystal Reports can read, but for the most part, Crystal Reports likes to grab data directly from an ODBC source. They set up an ODBC data source which points to the HanDBase user folder, and now all their HanDBase tables are easily visible in Crystal Reports, and they can run any number of beautiful and useful reports on that data, without having to sync or convert the data.

That's basically it! Hope it clears things up.
dhaupert

Postby FactoryPilot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Where's the Mac version of HanDBase Enterprise for PalmOS?
FactoryPilot

Postby Shepherd Jim » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:08 am

dhaupert wrote:
...<snip>... sorry if the web site has too many lists and not enough explanations! ...<snip>...

Hey Dave!

No reason for apologies! HanDBase is a complicated and powerful tool with a very diverse user base. On one hand you have people using HDB to do something as simple as maintaining a list of the medications they're taking. While, on the other hand, a large hospital kitchen will use your software to collect and collate evening meal choices gathered by a team of dietitians who have gone out and questioned all the patients, noting their meal choices in some PDA or another.

I have watched over the years as DDH has evolved the extensive knowledgbase and library of tutorials. I've always known that it is has mostly been MY shortcomings that have prevented me from COMPLETELY understanding HanDBase's abilities and how I should best implement them. The information was there I just was not up to putting it all together.

I think it's always the case that those that develop software are not the best people to write documentation for that software. You won't remember, but I used to contact DDH every six months or so to ask whether there was anyone writing an HDB "how to" book. I still wish someone would do just that. At this point you could almost say that such a book is half written. A fairly good book could be constructed by just compiling the knowledgebase articles and existing tutorials -- smoothing and fleshing out the interconnections between those resources. "Self-publishing" is much more possible these days: a document can be developed in good old MS Word, "published" as an Acrobat pdf and distributed very effectively and profitably online accompanied by example and tutorial files.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Jim
i wish i knew then what i know now
Shepherd Jim

Postby DavidDevaneyJr » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:20 pm

FactoryPilot wrote:Where's the Mac version of HanDBase Enterprise for PalmOS?

At this time we do not have an Enterprise edition of HanDBase for Mac. An Enterprise edition for Mac would require a two way sync conduit as well as the Data Exchange and Sync Exchange components. While the Macs do now have ODBC support we have not developed the Data/Sync Exchange for ODBC on the Mac. We also do not have the Conduit that is compatible with the latest versions of the HotSync Manager.

While we are working to expand our Mac offerings at this time the focus is on updating the HanDBase Desktop for Mac.
Regards,
David Devaney, Jr.
DavidDevaneyJr

Return to HanDBase General Discussion