device bigger than PDA - mini / tablet pc?

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

device bigger than PDA - mini / tablet pc?

Postby Doug_H » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:56 am

I came to HanDBase from SLTG partly from the need to have a desktop interface where I can add/modify records created in the field. While I remain a firm Palm (well Sony Clie) advocate, I am finding that the small screen is proving limiting where I want to be able to use lots of buttons/long pop up lists. Has anyone experience of using something larger than a PDA (that still supports HanDBase probably via desktop software) - ie a mini /tablet pc or other touch screen device?
Thanks
Doug
Doug_H

Re: device bigger than PDA - mini / tablet pc?

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:51 am

Doug_H wrote:I came to HanDBase from SLTG partly from the need to have a desktop interface where I can add/modify records created in the field. While I remain a firm Palm (well Sony Clie) advocate, I am finding that the small screen is proving limiting where I want to be able to use lots of buttons/long pop up lists. Has anyone experience of using something larger than a PDA (that still supports HanDBase probably via desktop software) - ie a mini /tablet pc or other touch screen device?
Thanks
Doug

Hi,

From a PDA standpoint, I think the HP Ipaq's are the best sized screen for those preferring a larger screen. There are also a number of Windows Mobile devices shipping now with 800x480 screens. That's a lot of resolution to work with and still remain portable with great battery life.

On the flip side, I have an OQO, which is I believe after 2+ years still the smallest Windows Vista computer you can buy. It's not much bigger in dimensions than the typical PDA, but at about an inch thick, it's at the edge of practical pocketability ;) That said, not only is it slow compared to a full fledged notebook or desktop, but the combination of poor battery life and the length of time to truly restore from a suspended state being a bit beyond a nuisance. I don't think it's practical to use this other than for longer sessions. If you're like me and you want to quickly add an entry to a database, or look up another entry in one, the 5-10 seconds minimum restore time feels like an eternity!

Hope this perspective is what you were looking for!
dhaupert

Postby Doug_H » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks Dave,
It's something along the lines of an 7 inch x 5 inch screen I'm looking for. Pocketability is not important, but usability on the move (just like a clipboard) is important: the larger screen size reduces the chance of touching the wrong buttons by mistake and allows me to input much more comfortably whilst on the move instead of needing to keep stopping and ensure the right button is being pressed - I have a Palm TX where I have to keep the buttons quite large to avoid errors, though my Sony Clie is much more accurate. I'd like to make extensive use of buttons/check boxes, though will have to find out how to workaround the file size limits - but I imagine that's fully possible
HP, Fujitsu, Acer and others all have models out there, but I'm just slightly cautious in case Windows XP tablet edition doesn't work that well with HanDBase. Staying with HanDBase allows me to also use Palms etc as needs arise. May hit eBay for some cheap used devices to explore further
regards
Doug
Doug_H

Postby lagunacreek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 pm

You could take a look at the new Netbooks... more like 10". If I didn't have the iPhone, I would consider one of these. But it would take alot to get me off the iPhone, esp since I have HanDBase and now Quickoffice. For short trips I no longer need to bring my laptop. ;)
lagunacreek

Postby Doug_H » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:53 pm

answering my own question, it's a yes - I bought a cheap tablet on eBay and run HanDBase desktop version on XP: it's great having a much bigger screen and the stylus operation is the same as my Palms/Sonys - but the tablet in question really doesn't cope well - too little power and RAM - I use lots of forms and check boxes and it takes 10 seconds (ie eternity) or so to bring up each new form. It did prove the concept so I'm now aiming for a newer more powerful tablet pc - Asus have one coming out imminently
Thanks for the input
Doug
Doug_H

Postby Astroman33 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, perhaps in a few weeks, you'll have a 10" iTablet from Apple as an option! :)
Astroman33

Return to HanDBase General Discussion