Questions about Reporter

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Questions about Reporter

Postby Fixxer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:31 pm

I have purchased Reporter *twice* now, and I am still unable to use it. I see the "New Version" tag on the Reporter page, but not so much as a clue what is "new" about it.

The problem I am having is that Reports Manager is looking for database files in (I'm assuming) a different directory than the one that HandBase created by default, with no way to browse to the correct directory.

I am loathe to move the files, especially considering that I don't know a) what is exactly happening, b) whether it will screw up my synchronizing (which works well), or c) any other unexpected difficulties which invariably crop up when moving stuff around.

I find the documentation sorely lacking, and I am a little disappointed that the product does not even get mentioned on the support page.

I would like to print reports, but at this point, I am unsure whether purchasing another "New Version", when there is no release information provided, will get me where I want to be.

I love the product, just not Reporter.

Thanks.
Fixxer

Re: Questions about Reporter

Postby dhaupert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:13 am

Hi there,

Thanks so much for posting. First off, my apologies- the image that says 'new item' is _Very_ outdated. We're going to edit and fix that today. It's not new to you, new to us, or new to anyone. In fact, it's just a stale image on the site.

If you purchased another copy of Reporter for the same handheld, there was no need to do so- please contact sales@ddhsoftware.com and have them refund you the second copy. We are certainly not in the business to take people's money without offering something we hope they value, and clearly if you purchased a duplicate copy that would not be in either of our best interests! Please also know that updates to the Reports application will be free until a major update comes, if ever. We don't charge for minor upgrades and bug fixes.

Which platform are you using HanDBase Reporter with? I want to be sure I can address your answer properly and provide you promptly with a solution to your problem.
dhaupert

Postby Fixxer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:53 pm

Thanks for your reply. I spent a little time again trying to figure out what exactly was/is happening, and I think that Reporter is looking for database files in \My Documents\HanDBase3 (although it doesn't specifically say so). My device is a Verizon XV6900 (HTC Touch), running Windows Mobile 6.

I have my database files seperated into different directories, because I share some of them with different people, which is why I don't want to move them around too much. Also, since I don't have a copy of HanDBase3, it would bug me to have to use that directory anyhow. My OCD kicking in, I guess ;) .

I am not seeking a refund, but if I may, I would like to see a way to browse into different directories, in order to create a report- Currently, I have to sync the database with Access in order to create invoices, which makes printing while out and about pretty much impossible. If I had to carry a laptop, I would simply enter my data straight into Access, and would have no need for a mobile device.

That said, I appreciate your reply- thanks!
Fixxer

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:31 pm

Fixxer wrote:Thanks for your reply. I spent a little time again trying to figure out what exactly was/is happening, and I think that Reporter is looking for database files in \My Documents\HanDBase3 (although it doesn't specifically say so). My device is a Verizon XV6900 (HTC Touch), running Windows Mobile 6.

I have my database files seperated into different directories, because I share some of them with different people, which is why I don't want to move them around too much. Also, since I don't have a copy of HanDBase3, it would bug me to have to use that directory anyhow. My OCD kicking in, I guess ;) .

I am not seeking a refund, but if I may, I would like to see a way to browse into different directories, in order to create a report- Currently, I have to sync the database with Access in order to create invoices, which makes printing while out and about pretty much impossible. If I had to carry a laptop, I would simply enter my data straight into Access, and would have no need for a mobile device.

That said, I appreciate your reply- thanks!

Hi again,

I did some checking here, and according to the "other David", both the report template and the databases are updated in the latest HanDBase Reporter application to look in My Documents\HanDBase. Can you double check and let me know if this is not the case for you? Also, please log in to: http://www.ddhsoftware.com/download and make sure you have the latest build installed, as that may be related!
dhaupert

Postby Fixxer » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Hey- I've gotta thank you for your help! Sorry it took so long to respond, but I've been on the road. Yes, this latest version seems to have done the trick, although I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Again, thanks! -bry
Fixxer

Return to HanDBase General Discussion