Linked record id weirdness

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Linked record id weirdness

Postby Frank_Black » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I have three tables I'm dealing with: Main, Inscriptions, and Names. They're all linked via an 'ID' field, an integer. I have two problems with it.

1) When I jump to, say, the Names table from Main, and make a new record in Names, it doesn't automatically fill in the ID field with the current ID value in Main. I thought I had it all set up to do that, but did I miss something in the set up?

2) After the 256th record in the Names table (ID incremented by 1 each time: 1,2,3,4,5....) the Names form started overwriting the ID value I entered for it with its own number. E.g., if I entered 263 and hit OK, i would rewrite it as 7. 266 would rewrite to 10. I can enter the Names table manually (i.e., not from the Main table form) and it doesn't renumber them.
Frank_Black

Re: Linked record id weirdness

Postby dhaupert » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Frank_Black wrote:I have three tables I'm dealing with: Main, Inscriptions, and Names. They're all linked via an 'ID' field, an integer. I have two problems with it.

1) When I jump to, say, the Names table from Main, and make a new record in Names, it doesn't automatically fill in the ID field with the current ID value in Main. I thought I had it all set up to do that, but did I miss something in the set up?

2) After the 256th record in the Names table (ID incremented by 1 each time: 1,2,3,4,5....) the Names form started overwriting the ID value I entered for it with its own number. E.g., if I entered 263 and hit OK, i would rewrite it as 7. 266 would rewrite to 10. I can enter the Names table manually (i.e., not from the Main table form) and it doesn't renumber them.

Frank,

This sounds like a device or OS specific issue, can you please clarify which platform you are running on and I'll:

1. Move to the right topic
2. Test on this end to make sure there is not a bug there!
dhaupert

Postby Frank_Black » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Oops. It's Palm.
Frank_Black

Postby dhaupert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks Frank,

Is it possible you can send me the files you are working with? I'd like to try this on your exact setup if possible.

My email address is listed below, you can send it directly to me that way..
dhaupert

Postby Frank_Black » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 pm

I've just sent the files. Sorry about the delay.
Frank_Black

Return to HanDBase General Discussion