RSS Feed

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

RSS Feed

Postby uboche » Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 am

I subscribed to this forum via the RSS feed. The URL was "http://www.ddhsoftware.com/forum/rss.php?f=6". My RSS reader is Mozilla Thunderbird V.2.0.0.21. What I get now is all postings from "dhaupert" and "ddhsoftwareadmin", but no postings from other users. How do I get the whole contents of the forum?
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Re: RSS Feed

Postby uboche » Thu May 28, 2009 5:53 am

Interesting: I just received my own posting via RSS, but it is the only posting not from Dave or the forum admin. that I received so far.
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby dhaupert » Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 am

I'm thinking you only subscribed to the general discussion forums which is mostly posts from me (under both accounts you mentioned- the admin and my user account). Perhaps you just need to subscribe to the all categories feed?
dhaupert

Postby uboche » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 am

Following this forum with Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't work too well. Which RSS readers are people using that work nicely with this forum and are easy to use?
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I have heard about this from another user as well. I'm not sure what the issue is, but we're not RSS developers, we're using some functionality of a mod. I know I've tried it with several readers, from My Yahoo! to Google Reader, and they seemed OK. Perhaps you can try one of those? I recommend Google Reader- as fast as a desktop client!
dhaupert

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Following up with my previous, the mod itself has a known bug with Thunderbird, and no fixes posted yet. If and when he fixes it, we'll apply the patch here!
dhaupert

Postby rbt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 pm

I'm not sure about the RSS feed, but trying to read the postings in an email feed has problems too.
They all come in with a Subject of Forum Notification - or New Topic Notification - . The message is someplace in the middle of the email. There is no way to thread these messages and you have open and read every one to find the Topic and author of the message.

Is there any way to change the subject of the email to something like "Forum Notification - HanDBase General Discussion - RSS Feed" (using this Topic as an example)?
rbt

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47 pm

rbt wrote:I'm not sure about the RSS feed, but trying to read the postings in an email feed has problems too.
They all come in with a Subject of Forum Notification - or New Topic Notification - . The message is someplace in the middle of the email. There is no way to thread these messages and you have open and read every one to find the Topic and author of the message.

Is there any way to change the subject of the email to something like "Forum Notification - HanDBase General Discussion - RSS Feed" (using this Topic as an example)?

That's a good idea- I'll see how complex this would be to change. Remember, we didn't write these forums, so making changes are not as simple as changing our own source code that we have a good handle on!
dhaupert

Postby uboche » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:36 pm

dhaupert wrote:I have heard about this from another user as well. I'm not sure what the issue is, but we're not RSS developers, we're using some functionality of a mod. I know I've tried it with several readers, from My Yahoo! to Google Reader, and they seemed OK. Perhaps you can try one of those? I recommend Google Reader- as fast as a desktop client!

I tried Feedreader 3.14 and it is working much better with this forum (and some other feeds too), so I have now moved all my RSS feeds fom ThunderBird to Feedreader.
--
Ulrich
Regards,
Ulrich Boche
uboche

Return to HanDBase General Discussion