Recalc Desperately needed

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Recalc Desperately needed

Postby cad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi:

I am still having some trouble with updated fields. I have a database that shows elapsed time from an activity. ie:

Weeks Passed Name Age
37 JB 25
32 LV 21
28 JQ 24

The weeks passed field is linked with another field called "Today" from which it is calculated.
Unless, I manually go into every database entry and hit "Edit" then "Save"
the 37,32,28 never updates on the screen. But it will update in the record
when it's opened.

I know I have mentioned this before, but wouldn't it be better if we had a Recalculate button
on the display page, showing all of the records? This really was a life saver in Smartlistogo.

Thanks
cad

Re: Recalc Desperately needed

Postby dhaupert » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks for your posting. A recalc would not really fix this problem as it requires the record to be opened. A recalc from our perspective is taking the current values and recalculating all calculated fields. The Today field by definition only updates when you open a record for editing, so it would not change before the recalc.

What would probably be beneficial however, is a way to update each record and then recalc. That would give you what you want without requiring a change in the behavior of the date field and recalc procedure. Additionally someone recently asked if we have a today function in the calculation editor itself. I think that is a great "5.0" feature for HanDBase as it's generally only used in Calculations and thus the auto recalc would result in the latest values for the current date. So hopefully in the future we'll have a better solution. For now, if the HanDBase platform you're using has a Set Value To.. feature, you can use this to set some inconsequential field's value. During the process of opening each record to update it's value, the Today field is updated and thus it's like a global recalc.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Re: Recalc Desperately needed

Postby cad » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 am

Dave,

Thanks for responding, but I'm not quite certain that the solution suggested above solves my particular problem. What I would like to do is look at the listing of the names and have the weeks sit right next to them, as listed above, without having to open every name to get it updated. On Smartlistogo, the list of names with the weeks next to them, will update automatically without having to open up all of the records using the "recalc" button.

For me, this is a critical point. I will write to you personally detailing why.

Thanks.

Cad.
cad

Return to HanDBase General Discussion