NOOBIE HELP PLEASE......

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

NOOBIE HELP PLEASE......

Postby Harmageddon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Hopefully someone can give me some help. I just started using this program on me iPod Touch and have created a nice little job management database. My question is this... I have Time In and Time Out fields that calculate hours for the day and I want to know if there is a way to make a field that if checked will take out a set value in the total hours. Maybe something using the conditional field. I know that I can make Lunch Out and Lunch In fields and have them calculate into the total hours, but I would rather have it like a check box that if checked then minuses .5 hours or in this case 1800 seconds from the total hours. Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Again, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Love this program. I was using Bento but I don't have a Mac so I can't make my own calculation fields ( can only edit those on the comp )
Harmageddon

Re: NOOBIE HELP PLEASE......

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Harmageddon wrote:Hopefully someone can give me some help. I just started using this program on me iPod Touch and have created a nice little job management database. My question is this... I have Time In and Time Out fields that calculate hours for the day and I want to know if there is a way to make a field that if checked will take out a set value in the total hours. Maybe something using the conditional field. I know that I can make Lunch Out and Lunch In fields and have them calculate into the total hours, but I would rather have it like a check box that if checked then minuses .5 hours or in this case 1800 seconds from the total hours. Hopefully this isn't too confusing. Again, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Love this program. I was using Bento but I don't have a Mac so I can't make my own calculation fields ( can only edit those on the comp )

Hi,

Would be happy to help! What I would suggest is adding this to your calculation:

1. Assume that field 8 is a checkbox field, which you'd like to subtract 1800 seconds if checked.
2. In your calculation field add to the end of the time calculation: - (field8*1800)

If a checkbox is checked, it has a value of 1, so the result will be 1*1800=1800. If it's 0, the whole argument is 0 so nothing is subtracted.

Hope this helps!
dhaupert

Postby Harmageddon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I am totally new to this and after a few tutorials I got the time calc thing down. but I couldnt quite get my head around how to make this calc happen....... Thank you so much for the fast response.... IMHO this program blows Bento out of the water ( mainly cause of the "on the fly" calculations you can make in your database.) Bento can only make that on its MAC only desktop app... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!....lol

So now I guess I have another question.... I use this to track hours and pay from 2 different employers. Is there a way to make a running total that is separate for each without having to make two separate databases. Like when making a new record for emp 1... it will show the running total for both emps at that time. Can I make it with a filter or something so that if I choose emp 1 it will only give the running total for him and same for emp 2?
Harmageddon

Postby dhaupert » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Glad you like it- may I kindly suggest a positive review on the app store? Good reviews go a long way on the iPhone platform where we're not permitted to have any sort of demo, so prospective buyers have a lot of interest in the reviews before buying. Thanks in advance!

As to your followup question, I would think that would be fairly simple using a little creativity. I'd create two conditional fields. One would be employer1amt and the other employer2amt. Then assuming you have a popup or text value called employer that determines the employer, and another field which is the amount for that record called amt, you'd set up each conditional field like this:

For employer1amt:
if 'employer' is equal to EMPLOYER1 (hardcoded) output = amt
else output = 0.00

For employer2amt:
if 'employer' is equal to EMPLOYER2 (hardcoded) output = amt
else output = 0.00

So now you have values that reflect the amount only for one employer or the other. Now I'd keep running totals for each employer:

employer1subttl and the other would be employer2subttl.

For each of them, you'd do the calculation like this:

employer1subttl = previous employer1subttl + employer1amt

employer2subttl = previous employer2subttl + employer2amt

Hope that makes sense!
dhaupert

Postby Harmageddon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 pm

So in the form, there would be two total fields and depending on which employer I chose it would populate with his respective total? .. Can we discuss this over yahoo msngr..... so that I can get this right?
Harmageddon

Postby Harmageddon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Ok, solved that problem.... It was all in the parenthesis... But I'm still a little confused about the seperate wages for different employers... Will I need two fields on the form and only one will populate depending on who I choose as my employer! Sorry for being a noob and making this more difficult than it is. The light will come on soon... LOL. Thanks again for your help
Harmageddon

Postby dhaupert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 am

Harmageddon wrote:Ok, solved that problem.... It was all in the parenthesis... But I'm still a little confused about the seperate wages for different employers... Will I need two fields on the form and only one will populate depending on who I choose as my employer! Sorry for being a noob and making this more difficult than it is. The light will come on soon... LOL. Thanks again for your help

Just one field will be needed, the conditional fields will create the two totals and add to the proper ones as required. If it helps, perhaps you can send me the database you have so far and I'll offer direct advice. My email is listed below!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion