Recalculate on Relationship Lookup not in Desktop version

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Recalculate on Relationship Lookup not in Desktop version

Postby mjhanna » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 pm

The option now in most mobile device versions to "Recalculate on Relationship Lookup" is very helpful in my databases. However, I can find no way to enable this option on the Desktop. Based on behavior in my databases it seems clear that this recalculate action does not occur in the Desktop system. For example, a Conditional field which is based on the value shown from a Relationship field will function and display correctly on the mobile device (in my case an Android), but will display the value "Error!" on the Desktop. Usually some? action changes the value of that field for all records to "Error!". Manually editing a single record will correct that one record. But using the "Set Value To" function, mentioned in other posts to force a global recalculation, cannot be used in my databases. Once the field shows "Error!" attempting to run the "Set Value To" on a separate dummy Text field, defined for this purpose, produces an "Access violation" error. The only global "fix" I have found is to temporarily change the Relationship field to "show" a different parent field, then change it back. This resets all the Relationship values and forces the recalculation of all the Conditional fields.

I have not yet determined what action will repeatably cause the Conditional field to become an error in all records. (It seems? to occur immediately following a sync, but I have not pinned it down yet.) However, if the Desktop version also had the option to "Recalculate on Relationship Lookup" I am hopeful that the error simply will not occur?

Are there plans to provide this option on the Desktop? And can the developers provide any hint at when we might expect such an option? Having the same database show "Error!" on the Desktop but function without error when sync'd on the Mobile device appears to fall in the category of a bug?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Re: Recalculate on Relationship Lookup not in Desktop versio

Postby dhaupert » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the great question! Indeed the recalculate feature is only in a few versions at this point- I added it first to iOS versions and then to the Android version more recently. I do plan on adding this to the desktop version, but I was planning it for v5 as I have not had any requests for it before now! This would mean it would not arrive any time soon since v5 hasn't even started development and is something I hope to start in 2014.

Perhaps if there are others needing the feature sooner, I can bump that up. Let's see if there is any followup here or elsewhere!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the update, Dave, and confirmation that I am not overlooking it in the Desktop.

I guess I can wait "some", since I finally found a global reset via temporarily changing what the Relationship field "shows", although that is a pain.
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby mjhanna » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm

What adds to the frustration over this, though, is that the only reason I am using a Conditional based on the Relationship is a "workaround". The Relationship shows a text field, and is one of the values I wish to use to sort the View. But since one cannot directly sort a Relationship field, I am using a "do nothing" Conditional based on the Relationship simply to create a text field for sorting. So now I have to do a "workaround" to globally reset the Relationships so that the "workaround" to sort on that field will work. Sigh!
Michael
mjhanna

Postby dhaupert » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:52 am

Hi Michael,

A workaround for another workaround! I am sorry you have to do this- in both cases, the program is behaving as designed, they are just limitations in the software. Sorting on a relationship field that is never stored and always looked up live is something that would take forever as a sort has a high number of comparisons. I'd obviously have to store a cached value in the relationship, something I never do since I wanted it to always be up to date. Long story short- I don't anticipate being able to sort on a relationship field any time soon.

As far as the recalc on relationship lookup- for over 10 years that was not possible with HanDBase. You always had to go into the relationship database via the relationship link in a record to get an accurate updated value. I never liked that limitation so in the last year decided to enhance it. I have not done any active development of the desktop version this year, so that's why it has not been incorporated yet!
dhaupert

Postby mjhanna » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:43 am

dhaupert wrote:I don't anticipate being able to sort on a relationship field any time soon.
I have no problems with that as the work around is a simple one-time addition of a hidden Conditional field.
I have not done any active development of the desktop version this year, so that's why it has not been incorporated yet!
Good to know it is on your "To Do" list. While annoying to have to "fix" it periodically on the Desktop, at least the Mobile version needs no work around. Thank you for that.
Michael
mjhanna

Return to HanDBase General Discussion