Wish: allow Follow Action on Form to specify View

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Wish: allow Follow Action on Form to specify View

Postby mjhanna » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I "wish" for an added parameter on the "Follow Link/Rel/External" Action for a Form Control to permit specifying the View to be used of that database when the Link/Rel is followed.

If the control is associated with a Link, Linked, DB Popup, or Relationship field, the result of following the Link/Rel will be to display the associated database using "some" list View. It seems the program currently uses the "last" list View specified for that database. I wish that this Form Control had an added parameter where the user could specify the list View for display when this Link/Rel is followed.

I wonder if any other users would find the ability to specify the list View useful?
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Re: Wish: allow Follow Action on Form to specify View

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:44 am

We will add this to the feature request list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby mjhanna » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks, Brian, for considering this.

Of course an alternative to this wish would be to add an option to the Link, Linked, Relationship and DB Popup fields allowing the user to specify "Which View of the Other Database" to be used. While that Field option alternative would allow specifying the (a default) View to be used for these fields even without Forms, I (also) prefer the potential for each Form to specify a different View.

As for implementation details concerning either alternative I would suggest:
  • The default would be to have no View specified.
    This would ensure backwards compatibility and would revert to the current behavior for selecting a View to use.
  • The user would type in the name of the View desired.
    While it might be nice to pick from the list of currently defined Views of this database, I think typing it in would be less complicated than requiring the Form control (or Field definition) to open that other database to find the list. The compromise would be to do the equivalent of a DBPopup of the View names, with the selected name replacing the existing value, but still have the field just be editable text.
  • If the name of the View as entered does not exist in that other database, the name will be ignored and the behavior would be as if no name was specified, i.e. the current behavior.
    Having the name as just text, but having this fall-back behavior, ensures the Control would still work and display the data even if the name was misspelled, the View had not yet been created in that other database, or it had been deleted or renamed. This also would eliminate the need to synchronize the View change from the other database to all Rel/Link connections. Whenever a View was deleted/renamed all existing Rel/Link connections would still work, just no longer use the expected View.
Hope these ideas are helpful,
Michael
(Only a user and not affiliated with DDH Software, but working with computer databases for over fifty years.)
mjhanna

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:49 am

Great suggestions, Michael. We will add them to the feature request list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby TomL » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Just in case you lost your Feature Request List, a reminder and a 'yes' vote for this feature.
TomL

Return to HanDBase General Discussion