Package Tracker- Need Help Calculating With Text Result.

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Package Tracker- Need Help Calculating With Text Result.

Postby Johnnytk36 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 pm

I am Creating a "Order Coming In" Database to keep track of all the stuff i have coming in from different places. Such as Ebay, amazon, misc venders. I sometimes get packages and i forgot i ordered those parts for a project I'm working one. I just want to make sure I've received everything I've ordered.

I've completed the database and I've attached pictures below to show what it looks like. I decided since I had a field in there to place the tracking numbers of the packages that i could make a field that would calculate the tracking URL for that package and when clicked open a browser and take you to that companies tracking site and enter the tracking # for you.

I made a database that stores the tracking URLs for the companies that i have packages coming from a lot, UPS, USPS and Fedex. This allows me to change the URL anytime i want if the URL changes.

I have a relationship field in the "Orders coming In" database that pulls the corresponding tracking URL from the "tracking URL" database for that record after i set how the package was shipped.

It would be really easy to use the calculate field to add the Tracking URL field and the Tracking number field together to create the Package tracking URL BUT the calculate field does not allow for text, only integers.

From what i can see the only way this will change is if DDH makes a update to the program to allow for text results in the calculation field. Am I correct?

I'm having to manually copy and paste the info into a blank field to create my package tracking URL right now. Please let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks in advance. If we can get this sorted out and people want to add tracking URLs to a list, I will be more than happy to add this to the temple repository.

Orders coming In Database Images

Tracking URL Database
Johnnytk36

Re: Package Tracker- Need Help Calculating With Text Result.

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm

Wow, you win the award for the most detailed post - I wasn't even aware that screenshots could be attached inline like that. Very glad to see them there!

What you are wanting is a way to append the data between two fields. This is one of the field types we have on our todo list for the external field type. You'll be able to append the values between several fields and put them into another field (in this case the URL field). Then that same field can be pointed to by your URL link field and all is well!

I don't have a date for this field type- it was something I had hoped to do before fall, but unfortunately Apple has put a wrinkle on updates for us- we are now having trouble getting updates through their approval on a timely basis. So instead of frequent updates as we had been doing, we're now having to wait several weeks for each update to be approved. That's a whole other story, but suffice it to say I'd have hoped we would have seen this field type available in the next few weeks, but now will likely be some time in fall.

Hope this info helps!
dhaupert

Postby Johnnytk36 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Dave,

Thanks, I find the more detail you give the more likely you will get the answer you are looking for the first time around.

That is what i thought, that a update would have to be issued to allow me to do this.

You defiantly answered my question and I'm glad this feature is coming. That's all i could ask for.

Thanks.

Jonathan Kutz
Johnnytk36

Postby Johnnytk36 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Dave, i know y'all have been busy but i was wondering when this feature might make it into the program.

Thanks
Johnnytk36

Postby dhaupert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for checking in- it's still something I hope to add to a future version, but right now the priority is on the Mac HanDBase application, forms for the iPhone and an iPad version, based on the customer requests we've received. So unfortunately this feature will probably have to come after the above which puts it later in the year at best. Sorry for the bad news!
dhaupert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion