My databases keep disappearing!

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

My databases keep disappearing!

Postby TMellert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am

Hello! I have had HanDbase for a number of years and now for some reason twice in the last week my databases have disappeared from my phone. Somehow they are being deleted and I have no idea why. I have a Galaxy Note 3 with Android version 4.4.2. I am using Apex Launcher on it and not the stock launcher. I have used both Go Launcher and Apex Launcher with it for a while now and up until last week no issues. I did add an office 365 email account to my phone for business and had to set it up as a Microsoft Exchange Active Service which did set some security on the phone. I have deleted that account today and reinstalled HanDbase. Can anyone help me? I plugged my phone in last week to do a backup and my databases were all gone. My phone was also locking up on me at that time as well so not sure what the heck was going on. I did a factory reset after that one.

Thank you!

Tammy M :)
TMellert

Re: My databases keep disappearing!

Postby dhaupert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Tammy,

Very sorry to hear of the problem you're seeing. It's the first I've heard of this so I am wondering what is going on! When you wrote that you plugged in your phone to backup your databases, what were you using to do a backup? Since you have Android 4.4.2 I assume it is not the HandBase conduit since you'd not plug in the USB to use it there?

One thing with Android back when it supported syncing over plugged in via USB, the drive gets mounted to the computer is unavailable to the apps on the device. At that moment in HandBase it appears that the databases are not there, but they are just mounted to the computer for the sync! I don't know if that is what you're seeing here..
dhaupert

Postby TMellert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Hello again! Thank you for replying so fast. I plugged the phone into the my computer and chose the option in the HanDbase where you get your Http:// address to download the files and save them to your computer. When I connected the phone and then opened the program, my databases were not there. Then yesterday my phone was not hooked to my computer at all and they were gone again. My phone hasn't been connected to the computer since I reset my phone last week. I am not sure what is going one either. I use my tablet (Galaxy Note 8 Inch) as my storage device besides my computer for the files. I bought the desktop version a while ago but I don't use that email address anymore so I can't redownload the file for it.

Thanks
TMellert

Postby TMellert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:09 pm

I forgot to tell you that this time when I put the databases back on the phone, I just copied them from my computer and pasted them in the HanDbase folder on the phone. When I plug my phone in via USB I can see all the files that are listed in the folders. My phone is not rooted either. I usually don't do it that way.
TMellert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

Wanted to chime in here that I have recently encountered this with a couple of people who use HanDBase for Android.

The first time the issue was caused by a new-ish, somewhat popular free app called CleanMaster. The premise of the app is that is reclaims space on the storage card. Great in theory, but in reality it deletes files, including HanDBase's databases, that are needed.

My advice is that if you use CleanMaster, contact their developer and ask them to fix this, and make a backup of your HanDBase files prior to using the app.

The second scenario was on a LG G3. It has a built in cleaning app that when ran will delete HanDBase's database files. The guy who is using this has contacted the developer of the built in app, but the last time I talked with him he had not heard back.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby TMellert » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Hello there! I apologize it took me so long to get back to you on this one. Yes it was CleanMaster that was deleting my databases. I have used it for a long time and when they updated the software, it put HanDbase in a file to be deleted as a temp file each time. I just happened to think of that app when I was trying to figure out what was going on. I no longer use it now because it was causing other issues as well.

Thanks again!

P.S. I also deleted my feedback on google play about it since it was user (hehe) error!
TMellert

Postby Brian_Houghton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:39 am

Hi,

Thanks for following up. We appreciate you confirming that the issue was indeed CleanMaster, and the change in feedback.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby TMellert » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:05 pm

No problem, I redid my rating at 5 stars since I love this app. Thanks again! :P
TMellert

Return to HanDBase General Discussion