Feature Request - DBPOPUP

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Feature Request - DBPOPUP

Postby simon.may » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 pm

I find the DBPOPUP function useful but somewhat limiting. I would like to be able to run a filter over the results it generates in the popup.

For example If i am in a db called Purchase Order Items and I am entering Items using a DBPOPUP from db Supplier Products Rather than see all the products I would like to only see ones from the appropriate supplier (for that purchase order).

I feel this would make the DBPOPUP function even more powerful.
simon.may

Re: Feature Request - DBPOPUP

Postby dhaupert » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:51 am

simon.may wrote:I find the DBPOPUP function useful but somewhat limiting. I would like to be able to run a filter over the results it generates in the popup.

For example If i am in a db called Purchase Order Items and I am entering Items using a DBPOPUP from db Supplier Products Rather than see all the products I would like to only see ones from the appropriate supplier (for that purchase order).

I feel this would make the DBPOPUP function even more powerful.

Thanks for your suggestion. Interestingly, back when HanDBase 3.0 was in development, I had to table a planned feature for DB Popups that did offer the ability to filter the data in the popup list based on a value. HanDBase 3.0 was a very big adventurous undertaking, and it became clear over the years of development there that some things had to give. This feature was not one that customers had requested, but rather one that I desired in my own databases and predicted users would enjoy. Honestly, since that time, this is the first request I've had for such a feature!

So I can certainly see the utility for this feature, but at this point, I'd like to hear if others are interested in the same. Regardless, it requires an update to the structure of the database and would have to be a 5.0 level feature if there was interest. But I'm interested all the same in other's thoughts!

Thanks again.
dhaupert

Postby Caravelle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:44 am

This would certainly be useful to me. For example, manufacturer Boeing make types 737s, 747s, 757s, 767s etc. Each type has a subtype, for example, Boeing 757-256, Boeing 767-336ER.

I would want a pop-up for types that would only show the Boeing types when Boeing is the selected manufacturer, and only show the relevant sub-types according to the selected type.

Without this filtering pop-ups contain far too many entries to be of any practical use. Not only is it hard to find the right item but there is a high risk of selecting an inappropriate item from the pop-up.

It also needs to be a painless business to override the popup to add a new item on the fly. When I want to record the first Boeing 787 I would like to just type "787" in the type field, the sub-type into the sub-type field, and then see the new items in the relevant pop-ups next time a Boeing, or a 787 is recorded. Possibly an "unlock" tick-box to trigger acceptance of new entries?

Thanks

Caravelle
Caravelle

Postby dhaupert » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi Caravelle,

Are there less than 20 manufacturers you'd typically want to filter the popup list on? If so, it may be worthwhile to create views within the DB Popup. You can't get to the multi-level selection that you can with a regular popup list, but since that has a limit of 60 entries.. it's the next best thing.

So in other words, you can create a view called Boeing that filters to show only their planes. Then you'd have a smaller set to look through and less chance of an error.

Creating new items is quite easy- just hit new record and enter the details. It's now an available popup item for selection in the future!
dhaupert

Postby nomvulam » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:12 am

hi
i also just started using HanDBase and i was really confused when i created DB Popups at why everything shows instead of the value to select....
if this feature can be added, it will be really useful.

thanks
nomvulam

Postby dhaupert » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:51 am

Hi,

We show the entire list view so you can see in context the items. For example, if you were a doctor and using billing codes, it's often nice to see the description of each code along with the code so you can select the right one. Since you have control over the fields that show in the list view, you could also just show the one main item in that list view so it would behave more like a simple popup list. But most consider seeing other fields a feature, not a hindrance!
dhaupert

Re: Feature Request - DBPOPUP - Quick filter

Postby DV_Boyz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:21 am

Re: DB Popup / Filter limitations

Last year I suggested a "quick filter" feature that would address this need.

I stopped developing my database because I couldn't get around this issue.

In my case, I was working on a database with 8000+ records.
Each record has a text field containing one or more 6 character keywords, because it may address one or more subjects.

For example, the record "Divorce rates in the US, broken down by denomination" might contain the keywords:

.xdsb (it was created by me, as opposed to a record created by someone else)
.xnot (it is in the "Notes" category, as opposed to "Personal" Business" etc.)
.marr (it is about marriage)
.divo (specifically, it is about divorce)
.deno (it includes information about various denominations)
.link (it has a link to the source web page)

The keywords are stored in a different database that I wanted to access using a DB Popup. The Popup worked, but the keyword database has over 100 records and is not easy to navigate. I wanted the user to be able to start writing what word they are looking for to quickly get to the appropriate keyword.

Each keyword record has multiple full English descriptions (synonyms) in the note field. I wanted the user to be able to filter the keyword database using different words but return the same keyword.

For example, doing a filter on any of the following words would result in the keyword ".anxi":

anxiety angst apprehension butterflies care concern disquiet distress doubt dread foreboding fret insecurity misery misgiving mistrust nervousness panic restlessness sad suffering suspense sweat trouble uncertainty unease rest

Unfortunately, DB Popup does not have "quick filter" functionality.

Not only is this an issue, but I also wanted the ability to switch back to the main database and do a "quick filter" using the resulting keyword. Currently, filtering requires several clicks and several more clicks to un-filter.

For several years, I have used MemoLeaf (main database) and PSMemo (keywords) together and it only takes a few clicks to do a search like this.

1. Press Palm hard key to launch PSMemo (keywords)
2. Just start writing; it automatically filters the keyword database as you write
3. Press Palm hard key to launch MemoLeaf (main database)
4. Write the keyword and click the "Lookup" button.

Result: all records that do not have that keyword disappear, leaving only the records that you want on the screen.
DV_Boyz

Postby kira13 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:29 pm

I have several simple databases where this is not an issue, but one of my most-used ones could benefit from such a feature. Right now, the karaoke database I use to keep track of songs I've sung is a simple database without any links to other databases, but it's starting to get unwieldy and I would like to have a database of song titles with their artists, a database for each KJ (karaoke jockey) with the locations they work at and the songs with their song numbers, and a master database that brings them all together. KJs number their songs differently from each other; I save the info so I can save time by not having to look up my songs in their books. Also, KJs move from location to location sometimes, but their song numbers stay the same, so I need a way to tie the song numbers to the KJs while still keeping track of the locations (so I don't sing the same song at the same location several times in a row). I haven't figured out the best way to structure this yet (I'm not a database expert), but I'm pretty sure that I will want to be able to pick an artist from the song DB and then pick from only songs by that artist.

Kira
kira13

Return to HanDBase General Discussion