Converting palm dat files to handbase

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Converting palm dat files to handbase

Postby tiffbus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi. I am new here but am a longtime user of Handbase. I am trying to wean myself from my 15 year relationship with a Palm Tungsten T3 but would like to keep my memo and address files active. How can I import them into Handbase and or other applications that will run on Android or Apple? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tiffbus

Re: Converting palm dat files to handbase

Postby dhaupert » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your post- wow, you really got your money's worth out of that old Palm device!

The format of HanDBase is unique, just as the Palm internal apps were unique. They all used the PDB file wrapper, but the format for each record stored was proprietary. That said, with the address book you should be able to use the Palm Desktop to export the data to CSV and then import that to HanDBase and create a database that behaves just like the Palm address book! The memo's not so much- you would have to copy and paste between desktops, unless you can find some way to output to CSV format.
dhaupert

Postby tiffbus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestion. By the way, I think my original Palm was well over 20 years ago and I have had to update the device many times. The touch screen gets unreliable, especially near the bottom of the keyboard resulting in irregular keystrokes. That, plus having to carry it and a smartphone is the reason behind my desire to move away from it. I very much like your program.
tiffbus

Postby draak » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:43 am

Somehow, I can't immediately remember how, I got my Palm memos copied to a *.csv file, and imported this to HDB. It works fine.

If you can't figure out how to do this, let me know & I'll try to work out how I did it back then - it was almost 3 years ago.

Dale
draak

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 am

Palm memos will export to a tab delimited file. Palm Desktop does this part. If you open the tab delimited file in Excel you can then export it from Excel in CSV format, which uses a comma for the delimiter instead of a tab.

Note that if your memo fields are extremely long, you may run into issues where you need to spread them over several 2000 or less character chunks, as the note field in HanDBase maxes out a 2k characters.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby tiffbus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks much. I will try that.
tiffbus

Return to HanDBase General Discussion