Set up a menu

For HanDBase related topics that are not specific to one platform.

Set up a menu

Postby shalom » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:43 pm

What is the best way to set up a menu to access various unrelated databases?
shalom

Re: Set up a menu

Postby Brian_Houghton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:35 am

That is an interesting question.

The first route I would probably consider is to group them into the same category, so that when they are viewed within the database selection screen I could easily see all of the databases I was wanting to work with in a given time frame, ie, daily databases I plan to fill out but are not necessarily related in content in any way.
Kind Regards,
Brian Houghton, DDH Software
Brian_Houghton

Postby dhaupert » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 am

You can also use the views feature which has an option to jump to another database. It's a rarely used feature but a way to create a menu option to jump between databases.
dhaupert

Postby glenwf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am

Using the "View" switch to another database... I wonder if it is really only rarely used.

That is just what I was needing but the "idea" didn't click until you mentioned it. Great! I had seen the option, but never used it before so it didn't click in my brain that was what I wanted.

Thanks
glenwf

Postby shalom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:16 pm

I tried to use the view feature before I asked my question, but it didn't work. I'm new to hanDBase, so I may not have set it up correctly. Is there an example I could look at?
shalom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:29 am

Hi,

When editing one of the views, select the first option after you assign a name and change it "switch to another database". Then choose the database you want.

Give it a try and let us know if you run into problems - I can put together an example afterwards is needed.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Postby shalom » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 am

That is what I did, but it didn't work. I only had one view defined. When I created a second view to be the default then selected the one I wanted to go into it worked. It's not really the best way to do a menu, but it will work until I figure out something better.
shalom

Postby Brian_Houghton » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:17 am

Hi,

You do need to leave a view as a default as it instructs HanDBase how to display the records. After the default view, you can technically add up to 19 other "switch to another database" views.
Kind Regards,
Brian_Houghton

Return to HanDBase General Discussion